My first rock mix - feedback?

Hey guys, I have been learning by myself for the last years about recording and mixing and I love it. I have produced-recorded and mixing tis song for my brother's band and I would love for you guys to give me some feedback.
I hope you guys enjoy and I'll be waiting for your professional input!!

thanks to all!!!!:)

I liked it quite a bit! That vocalist sure has a unique texture in his voice... Sounded very nice. Lots of effects, but I think the effects added to the song.

Great job!

pretty good. how did you go about recording them? mixing them? etc?

first thanks to all for the comments.
I have recorded the singer at my home studio with my AKG c1000 for the vocal and I plug straight the guitar onto my tascam 1884 and I recorded plain on Logic pro 7.
After that I started to work on the arrangements because the original song is kind of bob dylan. so I thought to myself Im gonna make something different having this opportunity. I added some more elements via MIDI for the feeling.
Then I started to chop the vocals for harmony and mix it. I dont think I used anything special in plugins. I remember waves on the vocals but most of them are from logic.

Im so glad you guys think that sounds good. looking forward for my second!

thanks to all!!:)

I like the song. There's some interesting things going on in the mix.
That said…it's kinda lacking in low-end and the drums don't really add any punch to the song when they come in...plus, the guitars have a rather brittle, even somewhat harsh/raspy bite to them.
The vocal is well sung, but that C1000 is not the best choice for vocals (or anything else for that matter)…so it gives the vocal a rather limited frequency range…almost hollow-sounding in spots…but maybe you like that…?
But then...it's an MP3 file, and I'm listening to it on small computer speakers.... :(

I can really hear that song done with some fat bass and some big drum punch while the guitars rage a bit harder, but also a bit smoother.

My $0.02 :)

I like the song. There's some interesting things going on in the mix.
That said…it's kinda lacking in low-end and the drums don't really add any punch to the song when they come in...plus, the guitars have a rather brittle, even somewhat harsh/raspy bite to them.
The vocal is well sung, but that C1000 is not the best choice for vocals (or anything else for that matter)…so it gives the vocal a rather limited frequency range…almost hollow-sounding in spots…but maybe you like that…?
But then...it's an MP3 file, and I'm listening to it on small computer speakers.... :(

I can really hear that song done with some fat bass and some big drum punch while the guitars rage a bit harder, but also a bit smoother.

My $0.02 :)

thanks for the explanation chief!! I thought they were good mics. I have the other, the c3000b but because I dont have a booth it catches everything!! I know it sounds better but I couldn't use it. What should I do to improve the low end of the song like you said? EQ on the master?

thanks a lot man!!

Back