My First Monitors.Which ones???

StavrosG

Greetings to the forum...!
I am gettting ready to buy a set of monitors,my first monitors,and i was wondering if you could help me with that.
I have some ideas:
Since im new in the forum,it doesnt allow me to post links,so,my ideas are : Yamaha HS50M,KRK RP5 Rokit G2,M-Audio BX5 D2

I have heard nice things about the krk's,and most likely i'll have those.
Any other suggestions and opinions on the matter are welcome.. :)

I have nothing but good things to say about M-audio monitors. I bought the AV40 last year and just love them. My studio is a bedroom, based on my laptop running Sonar 8.5, so room coverage is not exactly an issue. And they were not very expensive.
They're flat and with good bass response for small speakers.

I should qualify this by saying I was a club rock player for over 30 yrs., and the high end of my hearing is not the best, so I am no judge of high frequency response.

I recently snagged a pair of Resolv A8s to upgrade my 2 year old bx5a (M Audio). Big improvement, and didn't break the bank doing it. The A8s can be found shipped for $350 at sam ash and other places online. The bass is solid and accurate, but I still find I want those sub frequencies to be more pronounced (I do harder rock and occassionally some heavier industrial type stuff) so I kept my smaller 8" energy sub just to fill in those lowest frequencies the A8s don't reproduce as well.

At Guitar Center there was a set of yamaha 8" monitors that sounded comparable to the A8s but for $600 /pair.

i think 6 to 7" is the norm for the 3ft triangle of HR mixing "nearfield",
8's are common...10's probably getting too big, I listend to 4" and they just seemed like something for a spare-set and the 5" I have had were ok, but in hindsight, 6-8 is probably my pick too. Obviously the bass likes the 8's, but the mids like the smaller cone (theoretically). the amps and all the rest is a huge part...

my 2 cents..I have not had any issues with any KRK's I owned. They make monitors, thats it.
I would try to spring the extra and get 6 inch though....maybe trade or sell something.
Or go with the 5's but most people want a sub afterward.

I have a pair of 1st gen KRK RP5's and they are amazing!!! $150 shipped for the pair on ebay. I also agree that a bigger driver would be better. I have mine paired with a focal dome 8" sub to help flatten out the low end.

Back