My first mix XLR setup help!

kie101

Hello everyone, i am in need of some help as i am about to purchase my first XLR mic setup but i am not entirely sure exactly what is required.

Could anyone tell me if these things are enough to connect to the pc,

The mic is a Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid

A phantom power supply, Behringer PS400

XLR to xlr Lead

Xlr to USB

Greatly appreciate if someone could clear things up as i said its my first real mic setup that i don't want to mess up.
I would post links but i need 10 or more posts.

Edit: I also have a xonar DGX soundcard, I will be plugin the xlr to xlr to the mic and phantom power, and the xlr to usb from the phantom to the pc, i plan using this setup for streaming/commentaries (twitch/youtube/social media)

Thanks again.

I dont think so. The mic is analog and USB is digital. What are the connections for your sound card?

Standard would be more like: MIC>>---XLR CABLE---->>Phantom P/S>>----XLR to what ever is on the sound card--->>

Or: MIC>>---XLR CABLE---->>Phantom P/S>>----XLR cable-->>Audio interface>>----USB CABLE---->>Computer

I have standard audio outputs, mic input and optical output. Are you saying i should get an XLR to 3.5mm mic jack instead of the XLR to USB?

There are XLR to usb "adapters" out there. Technically they're just very basic low quality audio interfaces.
They're probably adequate for skype or whatever. They might do for commentaries, but it'll always be a weak link in your chain.

Your best bet would just be to buy a decent audio interface which has phantom power built in and a gain control!

Mic -> XLR to XRL cable -> audio interface -> computer.

There are plenty of USB models out there on the cheap. Tascam US122 comes to mind.

There are XLR to usb "adapters" out there. Technically they're just very basic low quality audio interfaces.
They're probably adequate for skype or whatever. They might do for commentaries, but it'll always be a weak link in your chain.

Your best bet would just be to buy a decent audio interface which has phantom power built in and a gain control!

There are plenty of USB models out there on the cheap. Tascam US122 comes to mind.

I echo this opinion. You should be able to get a decent usb audio interface for $100 or so. Beringer, Maudio, Steinberg, Presonus...all well known manufacturers.
If you are going to down grade the abilities of the AT2020 (which is a decent mic IMO) by daisy chaining your way to the computer sound card with a half dozen conversions, you might as well return the AT2020 and get a USB mic. USB mics by the way, are not really a favoured piece of equipment with many in this forum. And what you are essentially doing in your explaination, is converting (downgrading) your AT2020 to a USB mic...

The audio interface is too expensive for me right now so should i just replace the xlr to usb with the "3.5mm Mono Jack (PC/Laptop) to XLR Female (Mixer/Speaker)" which is a XLR to 3.5mm jack.

Honestly? I'd just wait until you have a little more money.

You'd get a used us122 for $40.

There's all sorts of reasons.
1:Integrated phantom power
2: "3.5mm mono jack" in this context means unbalanced. Unbalanced means susceptible to hum/buzz/noise
3: Sound quality is likely to be far superior.
4: Half decent preamp with gain control.
5: Better drivers, probably.
6: Headphone output with vol control.
7: Separate outputs for speakers with vol control.

Idk. Maybe it's just me but if you go the cheap route you will be back asking why it sucks and how you can 'fix' it for free. ;)

Thanks for replying i am a noob so its alittle confusing. Would a Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Audio Interface be any good as it is cheaper.

Also are you saying a usb audio interface is lower quality than a non usb interface?

Edit, just realized that this doesnt have a phantom supply, i will just save up for the tascam, thanks for all the help greatly appreciate it.

Edit 2: Ok so i am going to order the tascam now after some frustration and alittle debt, This is the list i will be getting,

1. the mic

2. Tascam

3. Xlr to xlr.

Just to be sure there is nothing else i need to get recording.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying i am a noob so its alittle confusing.

Yeah, it's a daunting thing to start in to! :)

Also are you saying a usb audio interface is lower quality than a non usb interface?

Negative. The data interface makes no difference to audio quality.
Whether an interface uses PCI, firewire, USB, is irrelevant because it's digital data by that stage.

I'm just saying that those cheap cable-looking usb adapters are cheap for a reason.
They're just not designed for quality audio recording.
They also don't (usually) provide an output path so your computer is expected to use built in audio for playback and the USB jobby for recording.
Even a XLR to 3.5m adapter isn't ideal because the soundcard in your computer wasn't really designed for decent audio recording either, plus the inputs are often nubalanced.
They just aren't great approaches, in my opinion.

A little box like the tascam is designed to do what it does, all in one box. It's just a better solution.

Got everything through the mail today and set up the tascam and the audio technica and its really great but it seems like my sound is slighty to the left, i tried setting it to mono but it doesnt seem to be possible.
Any ideas?

It depends what way your DAW is set up but if you're recording to a stereo track input will be show as left, and two will show as right.
You want to be using a mono track with the input set to mic 1 and the outputs to 1+2/l+r.
Either that or look for a pan knob (or two) on your audio track.

Not sure what Tascam you bought, but are the left and right levels the same on the meters? If so, then what are they like on the computer? If the computer meters say the same, then any balance issue is in the monitor system.

I don't know what you mean by DAW, i switched it to mono on the tascam us 122mk and it made no difference, don't know how to set it to mono on the pc and there is no stereo balance control on the pc or the tascam, i have a global one which can center the mic but throws everything else off.

Don't worry, I will be the one...

A DAW is short for 'Digital Audio Workstation'. It is the software you use to record via an audio interface and sends audio back to the interface after recording.

Please take some time to read some of the 'Stickies' at the top of each forum here. You need to get some learning on. No offense but you have to have at least some knowledge before asking of members valuable time with questions that have already been answered.

Welcome to the site kie. Many here to help when you have a specific question. :D

Don't worry, I will be the one...

A DAW is short for 'Digital Audio Workstation'. It is the software you use to record via an audio interface and sends audio back to the interface after recording.

Please take some time to read some of the 'Stickies' at the top of each forum here. You need to get some learning on. No offense but you have to have at least some knowledge before asking of members valuable time with questions that have already been answered.

Welcome to the site kie. Many here to help when you have a specific question. :D

Everything is working fine now i didn't realize that i needed a daw to adjust the balance i thought i could do this within my sound options as i was trying to figure out how i get mono working whilst doing livestreams.

I am really grateful for this forum and people like you guys who help someone even with as little knowledge on this as me and i understand this is annoying but i want you to know that i really appreciate the time you guys give, i dont mean to take it lightly and i will make sure i do my best from now on to read up as much as i can before making "to you" guys such noob questions.

I am really happy with this setup and i am blown away with the quality of sound for both vocals as well as playing my guitar and piano through the audio technica 2020 with the preamp tascam that i bought through Steenamaroo recommending it, Thanks again Steenamaroo.

I plan on lurking around the forums and getting a better understanding on this topic as i will be setting up a more professional studio in the future as i am sure i have alot more to learn.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
I am really happy with this setup and i am blown away with the quality of sound for both vocals as well as playing my guitar and piano through the audio technica 2020 with the preamp tascam that i bought through Steenamaroo recommending it, Thanks again Steenamaroo.

Everyone loves a happy ending! :p

The computer will generally see input one and two as left and right.
Recording software generally sees it as one and two. Whether they go to left or right depends on how you set the panning in your recording software.
Sounds like you have it sussed now though.
Happy recording. :)

Back