My first mix to go on air!!!

2lim

I recently recorded a band of young guys(all around 16 years old) for free. They played a show with a band I play drums in, and I liked their sound, and wanted a CD, which they did not have. I told them, as long as I got a copy i would record it.

Turns out that they sent one of the tunes in to a local station, and it will be played on a "amateur locals showcase" kind of deal. I am ecstatic cause I have never believed any of my mixes to be worthy of radio.

I would like critiques if you feel like giving them, but frankly I am just too happy that the mix will be on the radio.

www.myspace.com/meantangerine67 is the link to where they have ti posted, and it is called Who Knew. It should start playing on its own.

Simon

2Lim - Hearty Congratulations on your success of acheiving radio airplay for one of your recordings! The mix is great and the band is hot....
Kudos!

:D :) :D :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I dunno how ppl feel about myspace here, but i am not myspace-whoring I am not even in this band, I just think they kick ass, and of course, it IS my recording lol.

SImon

Not my style of music....but the recording is awesome....great job. Even on my crappy comp speakers it sound radio worth. what's your setup?

Who Knew - I reckon the R speaker chop guitar is far too bright & loud at the beginning it settled nicely at 30sec. The drum break doesn't quite come off it either needs a longer pause or the pause filled in.
Is that a drum stick collision at 1.41? It sounds like it , can you edit it out or cover it with cymbals etc.
The guitar solo starts of all Egyptian Reggae (Mod Lovers) but becomes uncertain and falls apart - can the dude retrack it - something definite or quirky?
Good song, well captured - nice to hear a bit of ska again.

Well here is the deal.... yeah I cna prolly EQ out the stick hit. These kids are all 16 and they are pretty much a "jam band" all the soloes are improv on the spot, and thery never play the same thing twice. We tracked an 8 song cd in 2 days(16 hours total) so there was little room for re-takes. I do realise that the performance aspect of this is kinda sloppy, but I figured it lends to the style, and the average person won't pick up on it too hard lol.

As for my setup, it is kind of embarassing

Drums

Apex Kick mic
Apex snare mic
MXL990 overhead

Guitar

SHS OM something(sm58 rip) and apex snare mic

Bass

Behringer DI
Apex kick drum mic

Vocals

MXL V67

Everything goes through an ultragain mic pre, or a UB802

through a delta 66 then into Ntrack

Simon

The vibe is good. Your gear is good too. don't sweat it re gear - if you can record like this with what you've got you're laughing.
If you mix to stereo you can pull up the file in a wave editor (waverepair etc) and actually cut the click off the wave edge just as if it were a click or pop on vinyl - really easy esp with waverepair.

The mix sounds very good, man, and even though I'm not a huge ska fan, I like the vibe of Who Knew.....it had some cool rock elements, and is very entertaining. You all did a good job, as it sounds cool. Congrats man..... :cool:

I think it's really great what you've done for those kids. This is a milestone in their lives without a doubt. Most kid bands I know won't give a stick click in a track a second thought, they're getting some airplay! That's all that matters to them I imagine. A track on the radio will give them a lot more street cred in school too. Good job, my hats off to you.

Violent5

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I am gonna try cutting out the click.

You guys are right tho, they don't give a rats ass about the stick hit, cause they are getting airplay! I will change it tho, cause this is a major milestone for me too, getting a song on the radio,(something my bands have never been able to achieve) and I want the recording as perfect as possible.

Simon

Back