My first mix, opinions please.

comatosed

Quick bit info on myself first, I play drums for a covers band and we've reached the point of having to get a CD together. I have some how ended up being the one learning this mixing game. The guys have been nice enough to allow me some to learn before we record (bless 'em lol) so I downloaded a few multitrack recordings from various places and had a go.

This one is from the cambridge resource, it is not my/our work. All I've done is try to mix it. Opinions would be greatly welcomed.

View attachment 01 - Johnny Lokke - Promises and Lies.mp3

Thanks guys.

Were these multitrack recordings already EQed, compressed, etc? Because this sounds seriously good for a "first" recording - almost too good to be true. Everything is balanced in level and tone, the bass sits with the kick, etc. I find it very difficult to believe that this is your first mix. But if it is, seriously, kudos.

I downloaded the multitrack from here. As is said earlier, we haven't actually done any recording of our own yet, I'm just trying to get some 'know how' at this mixing game first.

Honestly, this is the first mix I have ever done. I've just done a lot of homework, LOTS AND LOTS of it! I've been spending little bits of time on it nearly every day for the last three weeks. Just trying different things I'd seen/learnt along the way. I was all set to spend another couple of weeks at it after getting some feedback!

Reverb is what I'm struggling with. I'm not happy with the lead vocals.

I was also thinking of 'old schooling' the intro. Really thin out the guitar, add a little vinyl crackle and lower the level a little. Then let it all slap you in the face when the drums kick in????

Huge thanks for the feedback, you have no idea how much of a smile I have on my face right now!!!! The misses will be so happy she doesn't have to listen to that song again lol.

I was just about to say.
This is a track from Mike Senior's website. I've mixed it before myself.
Johnny Lokke is a really great metal singer and has his own website. He gave Mike Senior a few of his multitracks from his latest album for his website.

The bass guitar was too prominent. It drowns out all the other instruments.

I disagree, it sounds spot on in level to me. To be honest, I'm pig sick of hearing mixes on here where the guitars are pushed to the detriment of everything else.

I like having a prominent bass guitar as well but the rest of the band sounds muffled in comparison and I can't even hear the kick drum at all since all the low end is taken up by the bass.

You can't hear that kick drum? Even if you don't hear the low end, you have to hear the attack- there's plenty of it. I heard both low end and attack with both my extremely bass-heavy amplified headphones as well as earbuds.

In my layman's opinion, though, the bass guitar was a little high; or maybe those frequencies in the bass track that make it ring could be cut slightly. Still a great mix, though.

I might have to have a play with the bass level then.

NotThatBright, I like the idea of eq'ing out a little bass ring, I'm gonna have to try that first.

Thanks again guys.

First mix, eh'? Well, dude. Kudos. The vocals, to me, sound a bit thin, but only slightly. Drums sound good, if only a bit relaxed. Bass and Kick sit perfectly to my ears. If it were me, I would probably EQ out a *hint* of low-mid in the bass to tame it just a bit. The vocals at the very end seem shrill to me, too. Guitars sound great.

Very, very nice mix, man.

Back