My first digital setup, HELP!!!

napoli187

So i'm going to be buying a new computer soon and wanted to see if anybody had some advice as to which comp. to buy and what i need to get started recording digitally.

First: i am deciding between an apple ibook or powerbook. if i get the ibook it will have 640MB SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM) & an 60GB Ultra ATA drive. if i get the Powerbook it will have less memory:384MB DDR266 (128MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM) & an 40GB Ultra ATA drive, but will be running the G4 processor instead of the G3. which would be better for music apps? more memory or more power? i have no clue about how much memory is a lot, so i'm leaning towards the powerbook for its G4. any opinions?

Second: i plan on recording mostly live instruments, but do want to make some computer music and plan on using my KORG drum machine through a midi port. so my question is, which program would be good to start with? cubase, logic, etc.? i dont know!

Third: i dont know anything about soundcards. what's recommended? through the apple store i can get an Edirol UA-20 Digital Audio Interface. it has 1 in and out (for guitar and mics) and also a midid I/O. would this be something good to start with?do i still need a soundcard? i'm thinking that with this, a new computer, and a music program i should be good to go (for now!) right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Back