my first complete tune - ever

philpereira

Posted this a while back, but I think it fell into oblivion, so I'll try again. This is the first complete song I've ever gotten around to completing, recording, and mixing. It's far from perfect, I think, but I also think it's a good start for me.
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=483544&T=3566
here it is. I got two other internet musicians to record their parts, so I had very little control over their tracking process, but I added some reverb to the drums to give them a little life. the bass is a bit off time in a couple of places, id like to get that fixed as well by the original bass player (or someone who can duplicate it). i am pretty happy with how my part of the recording came out though (except for the singing, which i havent been doing very well). anyway, enough of my rambling, just wanted to see what more experienced folks think of my mixing. appreciate any feedback and looking forward to chatting about this tune.

Listening now. Shame Acid only gives you 96.

Nice voice when you go up to the higher register. Very pleasant song. I like the acoustic but I think the B string is out of tune. Overdoing that sus4 thing a little (that's a D chord right?) The drums are almost all cymbals, very toppy and thin - reverb could be making that worse. Bass is very inconsistent, as if it was miked in a room with lots of standing waves, booms out one second and disappears the next. Bass playing is sloppy. Can't hear a kick drum. Some kind of clash at the end of the guitar solo, with the rhythm guitar and that other funny noise you've got going on there. The ending is very weak, there isn't one, it just seems to run out of steam.

Very promising song, it is a good start. Some very nice touches.

thanks for the comments garry. the drums and bass leave a lot to be desired, i agree. i'll try not reverbing the drums to see how that sounds. when i got the bass file, i did notice that it sounded funny, i'm not particularly familiar with the physics of sound, but it sound like quiet cymbals after the notes were played. now, is there any way to eq the drums to make the kick stand out or is it mainly an issue with the way the drummer miked his set? as for the ending, i have a version where i do a sort of "breakdown solo" during that closing progression that provides better closure, i dont know why i hadn't uploaded that one yet. thanks for listening, hopefully i'll have a slightly improved version soon

Back