My first attempt at binaural miking

brendandwyer

here's a ROUGH demo of our latest song.

We miked the drum set using our kick drum mic (speaker rev wired dealy) and two SDC mics, set in a binaural pattern 2 feet above and 1 foot behind the drummers head.

This was also my first attemp at chaining mic preamps on the main vocal. I learned this as gearslutz from Kevin Killen who is doing a month of Q&A (he has many many impressive credits and is providing some really interesting advice).

Basically, i ran the LDC into the first channel of the first preamp, then chained I/O through three more preamp channels. I adjusted them so fall just below clipping. The verse vocals were recorded using all four channels chained, the chorus was done recording only the first two channels chained.

You might have to bump the bass up a little bit, as this hasn't been mixed yet at all.

interesting.......do you have a link to that thread? I've never heard of this technique and was going to record some vocals this weekend. what preamps did you use? what is the purpose of chaining them?

FALKEN said:
interesting.......do you have a link to that thread? I've never heard of this technique and was going to record some vocals this weekend. what preamps did you use? what is the purpose of chaining them?

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=107775

in the context of the question, it was having to do with live lead vocals. I thought, well i'm doing studio not live, but fuck it why not. THEN i said "wait no, don't butt fuck it."

Basically, i chained two twin channel bellari rp220's together. Kevin describes it as driving the first channel to almost peak, then backing the gain off, then running it into the next channel, bringing it to peaking, then back it off, etc.

The purpose i couldn't tell you. The result is a little warm and crispy, the vocals stand out a bit, but at lower volumes they're warm as hell.

I can only surmise (being of only limited technical ilk) that the natural compression in the tubes is gradually compounded, so that at lower volumes, they are warm, but at louder volumes said tubes are driven a little harder and blah blah blah.

All i can say is for trying two new techniques like that and being pleased with the results of each, last night was a success...

until i found that my cat shit behind the desk....

want a cat?

Back