My first attemp at mastering

R.I.C.H.

What up ..

This was a beat i did the other day...im just learning to master and this was my first attemp at mastering..

what you guys think....i was trying to make the kick hit as hard as i could without squashing down the rest of sounds..i think i did ok but i need some tips as im just learning to master...

this is the beat i mastered

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8826723

Sounds pretty good dude. So have you completed any songs with vocals on it yet? This is a good start but mastering gets a little trickier when you inject the element of vocals into it. But listening to what you've done with this you should be good though. All in all for your first attempt I have to say you are doing a great job!!!

It definitely sounds over-compressed (you can tell especially on the sub bass and the kicks) but definitely sounds listenable. If this is truly your first time, good job. Definitely keep it up. I don't her any EQ annoyances in here at all.

the kicks are way too compressed. everything else sounds good, what program are you using to create your beats at and what are you using to master with?

Sounds pretty good dude. So have you completed any songs with vocals on it yet? This is a good start but mastering gets a little trickier when you inject the element of vocals into it. But listening to what you've done with this you should be good though. All in all for your first attempt I have to say you are doing a great job!!!
Thanks and yes this actually my first attempt at mastering
and nah 4thwardkid i aint never tried mastering vocals..im just barely learning this with the beat itself first..

phatracer i used reason 4 to make that one right there...i also used a band compression and buncha eq's from reason to try n master it...and no it wasnt one of those pre set mastering suites it comes with ..those are actually not that good...ive just bought cubase 5 and ima try and learn to make beats on that plus i hear its good for mastering.
and yes i know my kicks were loud as hell..just hat i have a bad habit tryna make them alsways hit as hard as i can with out actually crackin or clippin..guiess that ws to much though..

Guys, guys, come on! "Mastering", by definition, is the very *last* thing that happens immediately before something (whether it's music, film, a video game, or whatever) is put on it's final medium: the "master" copy, which is the one that others are copied from. Mastering, in regards to music, is not, and never has been, about getting any specific element louder or quieter - it's about making all the songs on the whole album sound good when played together, as in back-to-back, as well as making sure the master copy is technically compliant with industry standards. There is an entire mastering forum here on HR with quite a few active professional mastering engineers in it if you want to learn about mastering. They won't tell you how to get your kick drum louder in the mix, however - they'll tell you that's a mix-decision that should be made loooonnnnggg before the mix is sent to the mastering house.

On the other hand - how much dead-space to leave between track 2 and track 3 on an album - now *that* is a mastering decision. How much to compress and limit track 4 to bring it's RMS signal up to a level that isn't noticably different than track 3 or track 5 - *THOSE* are mastering decisions.

@R.I.C.H.: This mix sounds good, man. That key-change in the intro threw me off again - I think it's too early in the song to do something that dramatic, and I also think it kind of lessens the impact of the change later in the song (where I think it sounds great). But again - that's a totally subjective opinion. Any nitpickings I could have over anything mixwise, has actually already been covered - I'd definitely love to hear it with some vocals. :cool:

Guys, guys, come on! "Mastering", by definition, is the very *last* thing that happens immediately before something (whether it's music, film, a video game, or whatever) is put on it's final medium: the "master" copy, which is the one that others are copied from. Mastering, in regards to music, is not, and never has been, about getting any specific element louder or quieter - it's about making all the songs on the whole album sound good when played together, as in back-to-back, as well as making sure the master copy is technically compliant with industry standards. There is an entire mastering forum here on HR with quite a few active professional mastering engineers in it if you want to learn about mastering. They won't tell you how to get your kick drum louder in the mix, however - they'll tell you that's a mix-decision that should be made loooonnnnggg before the mix is sent to the mastering house.

On the other hand - how much dead-space to leave between track 2 and track 3 on an album - now *that* is a mastering decision. How much to compress and limit track 4 to bring it's RMS signal up to a level that isn't noticably different than track 3 or track 5 - *THOSE* are mastering decisions.

@R.I.C.H.: This mix sounds good, man. That key-change in the intro threw me off again - I think it's too early in the song to do something that dramatic, and I also think it kind of lessens the impact of the change later in the song (where I think it sounds great). But again - that's a totally subjective opinion. Any nitpickings I could have over anything mixwise, has actually already been covered - I'd definitely love to hear it with some vocals. :cool:

yea i know all about the mastering and what it really means. Thats da way guess some other producers i talk too describe a good mix down on a beat ..we just refer to as mastering the beat...but yes i know its technically mastering the beat...:p

anyways thanks for da good feedback.

First off, very good.
great job,
I (again I )me speaking,

If you turn your bass line down a little, bring the kick up,
it will sound great-(to my ears.)because it will and does knock..
work the mids a little more.
take a little low out the kick(eq the low range down-just a little so it has some more punch) and make it a bit louder to blend up with the mids and high.

that will sound clean and lows wont sound 2 muddy.
your high is clear and clean-great job

Ask your self ,if someone rap ,or flow,whatever ,will this overpower or take over the artist? that way it will be easier on any one who mixes the track down and get it ready for the master stage.

the switch in the intro went else where, let it playout more than pause or a break down then- into the switch would be nice.it does catch you off guard a little.
Again this is my opinion and everyone ears is diffrent.
Great job man!!!

Back