My First Akg414b-xls

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Whats going on guys!? Long time no post!

Been busy moving/working/recording/doing graphics.. :eek: It's been nuts!

But anyways I came across a GREAT deal on a 414 and I just couldn't pass it up! So of course I got it and my first impressions are... ITS NICE! But it does seem a bit bright.. or maybe bright isn't the right word.. maybe more pronounced? :confused: .. Anyways the vocals are sticking out in the mix more than they did with my Dragonfly.

Anyone have any suggestions as to recording with it? Im using the hyper-cardiod pattern being that im recording in a small booth (ex-closet) :D . I'm thinking I might try and boost a little bit of the low/mid-end with the EQ on my Avalon to try and even out the vocals a bit... I already tried cutting out some highs.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!! Thanks guys!

It's interesting you think the mic is bright. I have the mic and find it fairly flat...in a good way. Are you sure you don't have the 414 TLII. (The one with the gold grill). That one is quite a bit brighter. Anyway, maybe the trouble you're having is that pattern--hypercardoid. Maybe you should try cardoid or figure 8 and see if it sits better in the mix.

PHILANDDON said:
It's interesting you think the mic is bright. I have the mic and find it fairly flat...in a good way. Are you sure you don't have the 414 TLII. (The one with the gold grill). That one is quite a bit brighter. Anyway, maybe the trouble you're having is that pattern--hypercardoid. Maybe you should try cardoid or figure 8 and see if it sits better in the mix.

Hi Philanddon.. You're right, mines does have a gold grill.. I just looked it up online and I think it's the XLII. It has the 5 patterns with the lcd light, etc. I haven't tried playing with the patterns just yet, but I'll definitely be taking your advice and trying those two. Thanks!

scarboro78 said:
...Anyone have any suggestions as to recording with it?
Hi scarboro78...
I use one in studio for vocals, and pretty much use the 414 on cardioid (not super-c) and for tenors/sopranos. I like a Shure KSM-44 better for baritone/altos. The proximity effect is more pronounced in super cardioid mode.

The omni works nicely with a live group who rely on their ears and adjust their own singing/playing sitting or standing round it in studio. It also works quite well paired with another large diaphragm mic in a mid-side configuration.

Only use the figure 8 if your room is well balanced tonally - figure 8 will pickup room sound from the backside quite well. I've used figure-8 to capture a live guitar duo, and it works pretty good (adjusting distance to balance volume).

414s are reliable and trustworthy studio mates.

ljguitar said:
Hi scarboro78...
I use one in studio for vocals, and pretty much use the 414 on cardioid (not super-c) and for tenors/sopranos. I like a Shure KSM-44 better for baritone/altos. The proximity effect is more pronounced in super cardioid mode.

414s are reliable and trustworthy studio mates.
Hey thanks for the great input! I'll try using the cardiod mode and see if that helps with the sharpness. I always thought that the patterns would change WHAT gets picked up.. not as much HOW it gets picked up. That's pretty interesting. Being that the mic is in the small booth, I'm thinking figure 8 is out of the question. I pretty much record one person at a time so I'll never really have any uses for most of the other patterns. It is nice however to have the options.

Thanks again for your input!

Back