My Filter cuttoff skips and jumps and generally misbehaves

laj35

Hey Guys,

Ahh my first question in a long while. I've been having trouble as of late with my novation A-Station. I'm controlling it with a USB Evolution MK-249C, and it's synced up with a Midiman 4x4, which I think maay somehow be causing the trouble. Often when I set the resonance a bit over mid-point and then say try a slow, gradual filter sweep, the cuttoff will jump here and there, hence making for a sporadic, nasty sounding sweep. I at first thought it may be due to the fact that the Evolution has it's own knobs and hence the setting of the knob that conrolled cuttoff on the board was somehow throwing off the knob on the rack, but I reset the knobs on the evolution to some inconsequential CC and no luck. Anybody got any ideas, maybe I've just outused the knob??? Oh and yes Chriss, I've been giving her rest:)

laj35

it sounds like you got another filter source being played back while you record... this happens to me often.. the filter should be cc 105, be sure your track is clean before you record, and be sure you don't loop with overlay.
Does it happen with every sound, and what do you record on.. i'm betting it's bacause of overlay, but it could also be the sample & hold LFO and such...
The knob should be fine if it turns down on left turn and up on right turn :D

does those skips show on your sequencer when you record them??

Yeah Chriss, it's doing this when we jam out live. Let's say for instance it's just a 4/4 trance beat and I'm jammin with an arpeggiator off the novation, when I go to do a simple filter sweep the filter jumps, mostly in the 10-2 o'clock range. We are using a midiman 4x4 to sync and the FM7 as the through. The Triton is the master closck with outs going straight to the 4x4. The evolution (which controls the Novation) is the other in, and 4 outs: one to the ES-1, one to the XP-80, one to the novation, and one to my boys omni to suync his laptop. A couple thrus are used to sync an old TR-505, a boss Dr Rythym, an EA-1, and an old yamaha piano module. I'd really like to figure out how to use Cubase 5.1 (I know I gotta get SX) to play multiple softies at once in a live compatible way, and still provide the MIDI through so everything's synced up, can't seem to figure that one out unfortunately enough. Got any ideas?

laj35

Back