My feelings on the new DP 24

bootleg

Well I've had this only for a short time now and there are a few things that are worrying me me so far.
I have brought the Pro Audo DVD and read though the owners manual.

Well there are quite a few things missing. Not being able to name tracks and location marks is a big thing for me as I used that in all my work.
Most of the effects have been dropped (I had the Neo before) The amp sim is terrible! (In my opinion.)
Only being able to use one dynamic is just silly. I want a nose suppressor and I want to use a compressor on my mics but I cant I can only use one.
Auto punch in is next to useless as even with pre-roll pushed back there is not enough time to get ready, to get into the track.

I love the Screen, its nice and clear and not to small, not for me anyway and I did like the way you record to SD cards. Well I did until I lost all my work with a file error.
I was using ScanDisk Ultra.
I thought that I can at least record using the DP 24 and then transfer my tracks using the SD card into Logic. (haven't done this as yet) bit I don't feel that I can trust this machine anymore.

I have just looked around the net to see if there is anything else about. there are a few recorders out there, but I haven't found anything yet.

I really did want to love this machine and I'm still hoping that someone will come on and say look your doing it all wrong.
I really don't want to give up on it and send it back :(
Sorry for moaning.

Some valid points. May I share my experience? There are limitations on the effects, but that's true with any MTR. Most musicians will want their own outboard send/insert effects chain anyway, rather than depending on the internal effects. The effects include decent, configurable reverbs and delays, and that's about all I need (others' needs vary, of course). Punch-in/out works great with the Tascam foot pedal. I've had no problems with the SD card, and much prefer it to mechanical hard drives. I've transferred WAVs to from REAPER with no problems. I took the audio from rhythm tracks created in REAPER with EZDrummer back to the DP24 ... but my ignorance got me, as the timing was off even at the same BPM. So I read up on MTC, and will try it with the DP24 providing the MTC for Reaper when I generate the tracks. I use a track sheet when recording, and find that naming the track with a pencil is MUCH more efficient and less disruptive of the creative process than slogging through menus and using the track wheel. The track sheet contains inputs, track contents, marks, and various other notes I find useful. When I move to the DAW I name the tracks there, though.

I think it's important to say what and how I am recording. Acoustic guitars, mic'd or direct (less often). Vocals. Occasionally a keyboard. Bass (electric bass guitar, acoustic bass guitar, upright bass). Other acoustic instruments, mic's (dobro, mandolin, fiddle). The music is mostly Americana, some jazz, blues, country. Usually input'ing (yeah, I made up a verb) fewer than 8 tracks at a time, often just one or two doing multiple overdubs. I'm sure those into other genres have different requirements, but I've found the DP24 to do everything I need it to do.

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty.
I am going to try again. Could be I just had bad luck with the SDcard.
I will also check out the Tascam foot pedal.
I agree on the things you said about the effects I just hoped that at least they would be as many as the Neo. Only because I take it with me to write with sometimes.
Did you write your own track sheet. Or is there a pdf I can get?
Thanks again Rusty.
Andy.

my 2 cents - I've had the DP24 for a few weeks; lots of problems until I installed Firmware V1.11.
1. I really miss being able to name tracks & location points - with this many tracks it's a Gross Oversight by TASCAM.
2. I really miss Pitch Control; I used it a lot to help hit those High Harmony Overdubs.
3. The Stereo tracks are really limited - on the old Tascam 788, one could separately pan the linked tracks.
This continues Tascam's annoying practice of eliminating good ideas [getting more like Gibson].
4. The new screen & graphics are EXCELLENT - easy to read, clear - good job Tascam.
5. The overall layout is intuitive and easy to navigate - good job Tascam
6. I ordered the Foot Pedal and it's taking Friggin' Forever - WTF Tascam?
7. I am basically pleased with the onboard FX, even the Gtr FX are way better than the 788 - good job Tascam.
8. I miss the Stereo Aux Send AND RETURN - maybe the new configuration will be OK when I figure it out but WTF?
9. I don't miss the whole CUE thing - this is much better - good job Tascam.
10. Not crazy about the involved Mixdown / Mastering process but maybe I'll warm to it - give it time.
Dattsall for now
jb

You are welcome to use my track sheet or modify it as you see fit. As for SD cards, you must use "class-10" cards. Anything less, including the card that ships with a new unit, will cause failures. Another way to corrupt a card, as I found out, is to hit Rewind before a recording take has finished writing to the card.
Track sheet - http://cwhowell2.com/music/tracksheet4.pdf

Thanks Rusty.
I am going to try again. Could be I just had bad luck with the SDcard.
I will also check out the Tascam foot pedal.
I agree on the things you said about the effects I just hoped that at least they would be as many as the Neo. Only because I take it with me to write with sometimes.
Did you write your own track sheet. Or is there a pdf I can get?
Thanks again Rusty.
Andy.

Hi, I use a Neo but I like to follow everything about DP-24/32 because there is always something to learn.

Reading here I understand and I'm really surprised that there is no Pan on the stereo tracks on DP-24. Is that right ? Really weird.....

BTW I use a regular foot switch pedal and it works just fine on my Neo.

yes adrstudio no pan just level control per side. you can record to a pair of mono tracks and after you're happy bounce to a stereo pair. I have the dp32 I'm still figuring it out but I made the decision to go easy and intuitive after years with Roland HD's. I miss a digital out and why they put in TS sends and not stereo is baffling however considering the price I think it's still a bargain.

DP-24/32 are great or GREAT machines, no doubt, and no doubt because of the price.

But by the NEO owner point of view a see only 2 things are real improvements:

1. 48K. This is the big improvement.

3. 8 XLRs. Not really for me. I use mostly Digital I/O.

And nice things, are 3:

1. Easier to navigate or set some parameters.

2. FAT32. Is practical. Technically, FAT32 structure tend to make things slower, too_many_files=slower access.

3. Better color display and slim. Good things.

And by NEO owner point of view there are a lot missing. For me the most important is the Digital I/O. I use only Digital I/O, I have digital mixers and was the main reason I choose NEO when I bought it 3 years ago. The Midi Master/Slave thing is also important. Naming, "static" virtual tracks, and many others and Now knowing about no Panning on Stereo Tracks .... Who never used NEO will be ok and learn to live with that. As I said DP-24/32 are great machines, TASCAM concept of Portastudios, but looks like users will have to make some real tricks to control space on the mix.

This makes NEO looks like a PRO, DP-24/32 follow the DP series, nothing wrong with that. But what will really replace our NEO Old Man Roland ? :)

Geez adrstudio I wish I knew. The perfect machine would have digital i/o and a vga output - a British company makes a tool-free upgrade that replaces the lcd board in your machine to provide a vga output- HGR-music uk- Tascam is working a difficult market with these machines as they aren't really portable or comprehensive. sort of halfway in between. My pro friends scoff at it but I wanted something simple and kid-friendly for my son to mess with in a few years. I haven't tried exporting files from my SD card yet but I hear it's simple too and that may keep this machine current for a few years to come. Thanks all for your opinions and advice I have learned a lot from this site.

Yep I love my NEO and I just bought a "like new" MKII for like $365 shipped to me and love it as much if not more than my NEO !!!;):guitar::D

Back