My experiment with samples--did it work?

mattdee1

Hi all

I recently finished a first mix of this song and I'd be interested to hear if anybody thinks it "works" (or doesn't work, for that matter). It's even more difficult than usual for me to be objective because it's kind of a departure for me. This song marks the first time I've ever really experimented with weird percussion samples and loops.

The song's called "Hey Hey". Any and all comments welcomed of course.

www.soundclick.com/mattdee

Thanks in advance
Matt

Hell yeah, it works. This is a cool song. Doubled vox works well here.

Usually, I like to throw out some sort of suggestion or point out a weak spot because, well, that's why we post our stuff here, to get suggestions and stuff.... but I can't really find anything to help improve your tune. It's good to go. Downloaded!!

Thanks man!!!

Yeah! Shades of Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey" with a lot less verb.

I'd love to hear a more Tony Levin sounding bottom-endie bass without the saw and distortion. Lacks a low end to compliment the boom on the BD, IMHO

Cool, thanks for listening guys.

Jeff--forgive me if I'm ignorant on the lingo but what do you mean by "saw"?

Thanks again
Matt

Cool, thanks for listening guys.

Jeff--forgive me if I'm ignorant on the lingo but what do you mean by "saw"?

Thanks again
Matt
He means a "rough" or "agressive" sound, like a sawtooth. Maybe mix in a smoother sound to give it a little more fluidity.

BUT!!!!

I'm really digging this tune, man. Funky, cool, and well put together.

It's a sharp edge on a sine wave that crisps the sound...generically used to say something has a crisp bite to it. [synth programming term?] The bass sound is distorted and sounds 'sawed". And the guitars are distorted....and the guits and bass sort of bathe in the same muddy water.....and there's no grusome growl in the low-lows, like Leven used to to with Gabriel' band. Having a clean, growling string bass [accurate fundamentals down to the floor...no harmonics. ] would round out the bottom end...I think it would be kewel...and add to the balls, instead of diminishing them. The LF's seem under-represented.

Just my preference...I always like to hear all the frequencies used ...and if everything is distorted, it sounds like you clipped the track in recording or mastering...and that's what I thought I was hearing at first.

I agree with Chili, this tune is really cool as is! Good hook, excellent lyrics and the "industrial" production works really well. Great guitar sounds as well. Thanks man!

Yeah...this works well. I agree that the bass could have a little more aggressive edge to it, but it's a cool song. Reminds me of some Beck stuff, and I can see the Shock the Monkey reference as well.

It's a sharp edge on a sine wave that crisps the sound...generically used to say something has a crisp bite to it. [synth programming term?] The bass sound is distorted and sounds 'sawed". And the guitars are distorted....and the guits and bass sort of bathe in the same muddy water.....and there's no grusome growl in the low-lows, like Leven used to to with Gabriel' band. Having a clean, growling string bass [accurate fundamentals down to the floor...no harmonics. ] would round out the bottom end...I think it would be kewel...and add to the balls, instead of diminishing them. The LF's seem under-represented.

Just my preference...I always like to hear all the frequencies used ...and if everything is distorted, it sounds like you clipped the track in recording or mastering...and that's what I thought I was hearing at first.

I agree with this. It sounds like the bottom falls out before you get to the way down lows. To me, this kind of song needs an earth shattering low end. I too think using a more natural bass sound will help. Or just revist the bass with some EQ. Distorted bass is awesome. Just don't lose it's natural qualities. The rest of the mix sounds okay. Guitars sound good. Doubled vocals work well in this song.

This song reminded of another dude we have here named "Queepy". His music is sometimes sort of like this.

Ok cool, I really appreciate the feedback from everybody.

I think I will try an alternate mix and see about enhancing the low-lows.

Thanks again
Matt

Back