my experience with the b1

Well, then. There's actually a few places - when I said local I meant York ... 30 miles but it gives me an excuse to visit my girlfriend at Uni ...

Digital Village carry some of them ... they have a simply amazing deal on a B1 and VTB1 preamp bundle right now - www.dv247.com (but others will probably do it for you too).

Press Red let you hire and then if you buy it they give you the rental money back! www.pressred.biz I think.

Red Sub - who have the store in York - also have cracking prices on this stuff www.sub.co.uk

NICK - BIG heads up - Digital Village are doing the B1 and the VTB1 as a bundle for £139.99 right now and they have a store in Bristol! Get your ass over there!

noisedude said:
NICK - BIG heads up - Digital Village are doing the B1 and the VTB1 as a bundle for £139.99 right now and they have a store in Bristol! Get your ass over there!

Hmmm, how pissed off do you think my girlfriends gonna be if I put our holiday off for another month? :( :rolleyes: :D

SERIOUSLY!!! It includes the £15 shockmount as well!!! It's better than a holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Downside Studio said:
I can't give the mic a rating because i would have to rate it for each instrument and occasion differently. I just had my first ...huh? experience with this mic.
Did you find anything that the B1 sounded totally fantastic on... or was it all just "huh" sounding?

Les W said:
IMO the SP B1 isn't your traditional Vocal Mic...I wouldn't pull out a B1 and use it on EVERY track if I were doing a huge project..

I don't even think the B1 is a Large condenser I think it is SMALLER than most condensers mentioned here...

Plus the KSM32 is A DAMN GOOD VOCAL mic from shure and isn't even the lowest ranking KSM!! the B1 is the LOWEST ranking Studio Projects Mic I know of...

Besides if you believe you get what you pay for it says a lot that the B1 can go head to ohead with the KSM32 being that the KSM32 runs about 3-4 times as much as the B1

Until I can afford A Neumen/Blue..and hell even after I can maybe...I will swear by the Studio Projects Mics...

They are well made and Bang ForThe Buck + cusomer service, etc.. I don't think you can find a better mic

IMO

Well first of all, the B1 has a larger diaphram than the KSM32. On my voice, the B1 sounds better than the KSM32. Matter of fact, so far, the B1 has sounded better on everyone I've tried it on than the KSM32. So, for my purposes, the B1 has been a better vocal mic. I use my NTK more though.

Blessings, Terry

Kevin -- why don't you just spend the vacation with your g/f in the vocal booth after you got the B1 combo?? She might like that and will feel like a rock star! ;)

Giganova said:
Kevin -- why don't you just spend the vacation with your g/f in the vocal booth after you got the B1 combo?? She might like that and will feel like a rock star! ;)

:D. yeah but then I might spill pina colada all over my brand new mic.

DJL said:
Did you find anything that the B1 sounded totally fantastic on... or was it all just "huh" sounding?

Nop, just tried it on a vocal and posted my findings here.I did hear an ac guitar track recorded by the guy from whom i lend the mics. It sounded pretty ok in my ears without using any eq...especially for that price.

still4given said:
Well first of all, the B1 has a larger diaphram than the KSM32. On my voice, the B1 sounds better than the KSM32. Matter of fact, so far, the B1 has sounded better on everyone I've tried it on than the KSM32. So, for my purposes, the B1 has been a better vocal mic. I use my NTK more though.

Blessings, Terry

Hey Terry,
Did you read my whole post cause I am not saying the KSM32 is better than the B1 it varies person to person...I am actually defending the B1...so the fact the KSM32 has a smaller diaphragm is GOOD news to me:D

Downside Studio said:
The B1 had sort of a real annoying hiss in the upper frequencies making it to MY TASTE (!!!!) vertily unusefull in the mix
The shure sounded like the singer had a could but it surely did fit in the mix very nice.

Huh?! annoying hiss that you liked? I'm not following you? Who want an annoying his? I mean I've got this mic, and didn't notice it, but maybe my ears can't pick up those high frequencys you can...

yup....that be what i saw...um...more or less. it was after a long day at a BBQ. :D The beer there was MUCH TO MY TASTE! ...But was vertily unusefull to my reading abilities.

Les W said:
Hey Terry,
Did you read my whole post cause I am not saying the KSM32 is better than the B1 it varies person to person...I am actually defending the B1...so the fact the KSM32 has a smaller diaphragm is GOOD news to me:D

Hi Les,

Yes, actually I did read your whole post. I stated what I did in responce to this statement;
IMO the SP B1 isn't your traditional Vocal Mic...I wouldn't pull out a B1 and use it on EVERY track if I were doing a huge project..

I don't even think the B1 is a Large condenser I think it is SMALLER than most condensers mentioned here...

Plus the KSM32 is A DAMN GOOD VOCAL mic from shure and isn't even the lowest ranking KSM!! the B1 is the LOWEST ranking Studio Projects Mic I know of...

The B1 has a 1", 3 micron diaphram which makes it a true large diaphram and as large as all of the other LD's that had been mentioned and larger than the KSM32 that had been mentioned. (The KSM 32 has a 3/4" diaphram)

The rest of my statement was merely an opinion of mine and not really in responce to anything you said. Perhaps I should have seperated it in my responce.

Blessings, Terry

Les W said:
Hey Terry,

Hi Les,

Yes, actually I did read your whole post. I stated what I did in response to this statement;

The B1 has a 1", 3 micron diaphragm which makes it a true large diaphragm and as large as all of the other LD's that had been mentioned and larger than the KSM32 that had been mentioned. (The KSM 32 has a 3/4" diaphragm)

The rest of my statement was merely an opinion of mine and not really in response to anything you said. Perhaps I should have separated it in my response.

Blessings, Terry

SP B1 vs. my other mics:

Every time I try the B1 in isolation (checking it with a vocalist who has not recorded any tracks yet), I think it's hissy and too bright to be usable and I go looking for one of my darker mics. I think for an arrangement including an acoustic guitar or piano and the singer and very little else in the mix, B1 would not be my choice for most singers.

However, once it's in the mix, that "hissy", "bright" sound compared with my other mics fits in just nicely. This is when the mix gets dense and loaded with electric and acoustic guitars, percussion all that. My other darker mics dull out in that scenario and I find them to be less useful, even though they sound much less colored in the top end when soloed.

So... that said, I like the B1, for some vocalists and types of mixes it's terrific.

Now, on acoustic guitar, I think the B1 is too "ice-pick" and lacks body for the instrument so I don't use it there. For clean tones on electric guitar I like it a lot at about a 10" distance to the cabinet. I also really like it as a lone overhead for "one-mic" drum technique, it kills on djembe, and is good for a lot of other things. It totally rocks on kick drum, but is a bit easy to overload if you have a heavy foot.

I'm posting this just to say that "hissy" is probably an accurate perception, but "unusable in the mix" is not my experience with this admittedly "hissy" mic.

Back