my evolving fingerstyle home studio

zenpicker

I've been slowly developing my home studio space to make it a good place for quietly recording fingerstyle guitar. The space is a former office in a finished basement; it has the usual array of acoustic challenges, including right-angle walls, a low ceiling, street noise and even train noise from a commuter train embankment not far away.

I've dug around a lot trying to decide whether to build an isolation booth etc. and have opted for the 80% solution at probably 20% of the cost of a full makeover. So far I am very pleased with the results, given a total outlay of less than $400. Since all I do is solo fingerstyle guitar, a lot of the online advice about studio design is just overkill - my needs are really simple and my setup rarely changes from session to session. The room is hardly perfect, but I am amazed at the improvement in sound, so I thought I should share some pics in case others are looking for ideas.

The key thing was dealing with the hard, reverberant walls, which were creating standing waves and either deadening my good mikes or else creating unwanted high-frequency noise. This was frustrating, since I'd just upgraded both my preamp and my mikes significantly; they just weren't giving me the sound I expected for the money. Modest steps to correct the walls just fixed it. The problem was the room, pure and simple.

My main tool was a simple, home-built sound baffle suggested by Eltjo Haselhoff's excellent page on recording acoustic guitar, http://www.eltjohaselhoff.com/recording_acoustic_guitar.htm. My version of the baffle is a shoji-style affair costing about $60 and 30 minutes to build; it's just Auralex wedge foam ($25 for a 2'x4' sheet) glued to a masonite-type backing ($4 at Home Depot) and then hinged to another identical panel (another couple dollars in hardware and glue). Here's a picture of them in action:

bullpen1.jpg

I made four of them and like the fact that they can be deployed easily in any number of ways. Besides removing the 90-degree corners from the room, they absorb a tremendous amount of sound waves and prevent unwanted echoes that could create standing waves.

A caveat: They only go up 4', so in principal there is some bleed above that height, but as I sit on a low chair it hasn't seemed like a problem.

The next image, taken more from my eye level as I sit in the hot seat, shows that the baffles provide good coverage directly in front of the playing position. The deadening of sound as you sit down is really noticeable if you speak or sing in a constant tone as you dip below the top of the baffles.

bullpen2.jpg

Equally important is the baffle behind the player, which catches any stray reflections that somehow escaped the front baffles or popped off the untreated walls above. The next shot shows the view back over my right shoulder toward my rack; you can see the rear baffle to the right.

bullpen4.jpg

Another challenge involved insulating the recording area from the fan noise of the computer I use for tracking. What I opted to do here was place the noisy PC outside the room and control it remotely via a very quiet laptop PC that I keep next to me while recording. Check the laptop on the chair in this pic:

bullpen3.jpg

For this I just built a simple LAN: the main PC is networked to a router in the studio, as is the quiet laptop. The laptop and the main PC run UltraVNC so that the laptop can see everything the main PC does, and control it. Works like a charm. I did try wireless networking initially but found that the operation of the wireless card in the main PC caused glitches in the audio during recording, so I bagged that. There are products like the Tranzport that accomplish much the same thing, but I prefer to have the full display of the recording software at my fingertips rather than just transport controls and a few punch operations.

This shows the view out the studio toward the main workstation (you can just see the laptop screen in front of the chair):

bullpen5.jpg

And now just a picture of my favorite guitars...a Goodall jumbo koa/spruce and a Goodall concert rosewood/spruce. ;)

my_goodalls.jpg

My next steps:

- I want to build a "cloud" suspended from the ceiling - probably just a sheet of Owens-Corning 703 insulation clad in cloth. The ceiling is the most critical untreated area at this point.

- I will probably hang fabric (probably some nice rugs) on the front walls. The painting visible in some of the pics actually covers a deep-set, ground-level window which I packed with foam and bags of road salt (for sheer mass) in order to shut out street noise. It's pretty effective, but there is still a reflectivity issue (though minor, I suspect) with those bare walls. I may also treat the exposed corners (above the baffle half-walls) with foam bass traps.

And I think that's it -- anything more is probably overkill. The room certainly isn't perfect, but it's dramatically better, good enough to get me 80% of the way to where I want to be. And all for not much money or effort at all, beyond the many hours spent figuring out what to do!

HTH -
e

This is a really good thread.
Thanks for the tips.. I'm looking for a dedicated spot in my house with enough room to do something like this.

...and here's what it SOUNDS like

Just completed my first proper recording since upgrading my mikes and acoustically treating the studio. I had done some fiendish experiments but this is the first real deal. :cool:

Very curious to hear what folks think of "One More Surrender" at:

http://www.edwardhamlin.com/eh_music.html

The setup was much as pictured in this thread, with the exception that I placed the Oktava LDCs in ORTF configuration. The guitar was that jumbo Goodall. Tuning was DGDGBD.

I did VERY little to the raw WAVs after the fact, which alone says a lot (to me, anyway). Only tweaks made were some roll-off of the bass on the ADK mike track (the Goodall has huge bass so it needed normal EQ) and application of light noise reduction. Two clear acoustical improvements that jump out: less ambient noise and much more clearly defined lows. Both were dramatically better after acoustically treating the room. The bass is remarkably better defined. More broadly, this guitar sounds like...my guitar. Very true. I think the combo of a good tube amp and a good tube mike really is sweet!

Comments, critique more than welcome. Have at it!

Nice pics, zenpicker...some good looking guitars you've got there. Unfortunately, the sound card is broken on my computer here at work, because I'd really like to hear the tune you posted. I'll try to remember to have a listen tonight or over the weekend.

Of course I am still quite the noob around here but at least wanted to post and let you know that I listened to the song you posted and I thought the recording quality was pretty darn good for acoustic and the song wasn't bad itself even though I am more of a vocalist and would have loved to hear some singing :D

Anyways, great job and I hope to be able to lay down some recordings that are of this quality.

By the way, what software are you using?

cincy_kid said:
Of course I am still quite the noob around here but at least wanted to post and let you know that I listened to the song you posted and I thought the recording quality was pretty darn good for acoustic and the song wasn't bad itself even though I am more of a vocalist and would have loved to hear some singing :D

Anyways, great job and I hope to be able to lay down some recordings that are of this quality.

By the way, what software are you using?
Thanks! You wanna add a vocal part?

I used Tracktion to do the raw capture and Adobe Audition to edit and mix. The only reason I haven't been using AA for everything is that the 1.5 edition lacked ASIO driver support, which I need for my PC interface (Yamaha i88x firewire). The just-released AA 2.0 rectifies this at long last and my copy is in the UPS truck on its way at this very moment. So I will dump Tracktion. It isn't bad but it ain't Audition. I have also used Sonar, Soundforge and Music Creator but I still think Audition is the best bang for the buck. Worth a look-see if you're shopping. I think there's a free trial at the Adobe web site. If you do buy it and can come up with a student ID from somewhere, you can get it for $150 rather than $350 over the web.

Hehe

a) I am not up and running to do good recordings yet
b) I dont want to record vocals over your good song :)
c) That song seemed more like "Dee" meaning it wasnt made for vocals in the first place. Just a nice groove and some good fingerpicking.

- But thanks for offering ;)

I have Acid and also Adobe Audition waiting for me when I am ready. I have toyed (very briefly) with Acid and have not even installed Audition. Maybe I will have to try it when I am up and running.

Don't let him kid you...that's an "AA" recording. That's a seriously tasty tune. Acoustic recording guitar is something I've always struggled with. Thats a nicely quiet recording. I'm sure the work space has a lot to do with it but how are you set up? I'm thinkin not close mic'd but maybe recording off an amp...that so?

Nicely done!

punkin said:
Don't let him kid you...that's an "AA" recording. That's a seriously tasty tune. Acoustic recording guitar is something I've always struggled with. Thats a nicely quiet recording. I'm sure the work space has a lot to do with it but how are you set up? I'm thinkin not close mic'd but maybe recording off an amp...that so?

Nicely done!
Thanks! I've been working on my setup quite a bit lately with special attention to room acoustics, as you see earlier in this thread. As for miking, this tune had three mikes (no amp or piezo, all just open mikes):

1. ADK A51TC LDC sitting about 16" out from the 14th fret and pointed slightly downward toward the treble strings; this went through a relatively low-end pre, actually, an mAudio DMP3 that I will soon be upgrading to an FMR RNP or similar

2. and 3. A matched pair (from Sound Room) of Oktava MC-012 SDCs in ORTF configuration centered maybe 14" out, one targeting the 14th fret, the other the soundboard below the saddle. These two were tilted to slightly avoid direct miking of the bass strings, since my jumbo guitar has a bass volume that could fell a moose.

Postproduction was really pretty minimal: rolled off some more bass on the ADK track, added a tiny bit of reverb, applied some light noise reduction, balanced track volumes. And that's about it. So the sound is as close to the raw audio as you would want, and to my ears my guitar sounds like, well, my guitar. I can't believe how much my modest room treatment clarified the bass notes - my goodness. It was so much muddier and more rumbly before.

Last note: in the finished mix, most of what you're hearing is the ADK. The Oktavas are mixed a lot lower volume.

HTH and thanks for your kind words.

Finally had the chance to listen to your tune this morning. Great job! Very clean and professional sounding. I'm now listening to one of your others - this is quality stuff! I'm also downloading some for future listening. Of course, you need to be in the right mood for this type of music (probably not what I'd play in my car when I'm trying to stay awake during a long road trip ;) ), but for some quiet background music this is absolutely wonderful.

Thank you, Jeff!
It does a pretty good job of keeping me awake on long car trips because I neurotically scour it for every little mistake - excellent mental aerobics. But that's me. :eek:

Thanks for listening.

zenpicker,

super sweet stuff. I really like the song, I think it makes great dancing music, rather than fall asleep on a road trip music.

I am now listening to all of the songs on your site. superb!

do you ever put voice over your work?

peace

stalemayte said:
zenpicker, super sweet stuff. I really like the song, I think it makes great dancing music, rather than fall asleep on a road trip music.
I'm trying to picture that...please post videos... :D

I am now listening to all of the songs on your site. superb!
Thanks so much. Sorry to make folks do the download-after-download thing, but I am working on a CD bit by bit.

do you ever put voice over your work?
There is one on the site with a vocal - "Manha na selva" - and I have some more than I am reluctant to inflict on people because my singing is several degrees below my guitar playing in quality. I wish I could sing better but it is what it is. That said, I keep hoping some real singer will be interested in collaborating on a tune...ahem...was there a particular reason for your question? ;)

Thanks for listening and for the kind words.

i pay no mind
Oh, and that's a rather zennish tag line! How come I didn't think of that?

Back