My Drum Room

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
I have a predicament! I really don't think I am getting the most outta my drums in the studio. We just moved in to a new studio and the live room is NICE... DEAD... but none the less this guy really spent some time and money making it nice. There is carpet down and the ceilings are prbly about 8 feet tall. The room itself is prbly... hmm... about 12X25 or 30 feet. So it's much longer than it is wide. I've always recorded drums in a tall room with hardwood floors, but now I need to find a way to get all the excitement back into my drum mix. Can anyone help? Is this a bad set up in general? What could I do to make it better?

I'm not getting a BAD sound... just not a GREAT sound. I process the snare and kick through a BBE Sonic M. 882 and it starts to brighten the brights and darken the darks, but I STILL WANT MORE! :)

I'm thinking about doing half hardwood half carpet too...

Thanks guys!

Cory

live room is NICE... DEAD... but

Cory

This is just a bit contradictory don't you think. ;)

IMO, a completely dead room sucks for recording drums but, that's just me. You would be much better off (again IMO) having a reflective floor and a non-reflective ceiling including bass traps and/or slot resonators. Having a properly (acoustically) treated room is the key to having a "good" sounding room regardless of its size. Do a search on John Sayers and you will find all kinds of information that will help with your room.

Well the reason I say NICE is that, for most every application in that room we get AMAZING results. As for it being dead, it is dead... for a LIVE room, not 100% but still too much for my drum liking. Thanks for the info though, I def. will check it out!

Back