My Drum Recordings

Mickey Age

Hi fellas.
I hope this is the right place to post this, since it's not a complete track. If it's the wrong subforum, please move or delete this thread.

Okay - I recently started with some drum recording in my rehearsal room and wanted to ask you guys for some feedback.

My room is quite small (14x16x7.5) but treated with some bass traps and acoustic foam.

The recording equipment I use is more on the low budget side:
Overheads: AKG 451b
Snare: Shure Sm57
Toms: Sennheiser e604
Kick: Shure beta 52
Room: AKG 214
As an Interface i use a Focusrite Saffire 40 into Logic.

I did only a very few tweaks.. mostly eq and some light compression on snare and kick. Only major thing i did, was crushing the room mic for some energy.

Please let me know what you think about the sound, not about my playing (!!!) I know it's a bit off at some places, since I was jamming around.
I'm planning on getting a second 214, since i really like the sound of it, and use these as overheads. I would use one of the 451 as a hi hat mic and one as the room mic.
For the snare bottom I'll get another sm57.
Am I on the right track?

Thanks a lot for your time!

View attachment Drum Test.mp3

I am by no means a live drum recording expert. I have little experience in it. I am sure one of the guys that do this regularly will interject.

I think it sounds good with a lot of air. However this is a real "boomyness" coming from kick. It's not tight, just boom. Thats how it is on my system at least.

Thank you for your quick reply.. Now that you said it, i agree. The kick sound isn't as tight as it could be. I will experiment a bit more with the mic placement inside the kick.

I like it. The kick does not sound too loose for my taste. I'm pretty sick of the super-tight kick sound you hear in so much current music. There are some drummers who post here and can offer you more specific advice, if they care to.

Sounds ok to me. Probably would need to make some changes if you're mixing it with other instruments and vocals. Not too many people listen to just drums playing as far as I know LOL. I think it's a nice sounding kit :thumbs up:

Sounds ok to me. Probably would need to make some changes if you're mixing it with other instruments and vocals. Not too many people listen to just drums playing as far as I know LOL. I think it's a nice sounding kit :thumbs up:

it's an old gretsch.. sounds pretty good

Do you know how to play outlaw country? I'll let you play drums on my songs because I use EZ Drummer and I hate it :D

I had a listen on the big speakers cranked up. Sounded pretty good.

How many mics did you use? You got good separation.

I like the overall tone you're getting out of the kit.

Wasn't so thrilled with the kick. A bit woofy with not much attack. Possibly needed tuning as well.

Overall, sounded good. You'd have to play around with it a bit for it to sit well In a context of a mix and I bet the kick would give you some issues.

:thumbs up: Think of this, except with another finger since you have such a great imagination :spank:
Well, that's not very nice. Did I hurt your feelings? You can scratch my balls if it makes you feel better. :)

Better stop. Going off topic isn't tolerated here any more. This is serious business you know. The fate of the free world depends on it. Let's stay focused.

My cat can lick his own balls.

Top that.

---------- Update ----------

Better stop. Going off topic isn't tolerated here any more. This is serious business you know. The fate of the free world depends on it. Let's stay focused.

Oh shit...did I cross the serious/fun line with my comment...??? :eek:

I had a listen on the big speakers cranked up. Sounded pretty good.

How many mics did you use? You got good separation.

I like the overall tone you're getting out of the kit.

Wasn't so thrilled with the kick. A bit woofy with not much attack. Possibly needed tuning as well.

Overall, sounded good. You'd have to play around with it a bit for it to sit well In a context of a mix and I bet the kick would give you some issues.

Thanks for your nice words! I will play around with the kick this weekend, to get a bit more definition.
I used 7 mice:
Snare Top
Tom
Floor
Kick
2x Overhead
Room

:)

7 mice? :D

How's it sound when you pull out the room mic? Your OH should do well picking up the room alone. Seems like another room mic will just make mixing harder.

Back