My desktop speakers are RUINING my life

corpsee

Hey chaps.
I`m pretty new to computers and I still have the horrible tinny sounding things that came with my PC.

I was wondering-

Do you have any advice about which amps & speakers I need (for my bedroom)
I want to make sure they are compatible as I`ve been reading about some pretty confusing stuff called impedence.

I`m a guitarist not an engineer (or someone who knows much about audio equipment in general

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

How much do you want to spend, what are you using them for, etc. There are lots of options for monitoring. More information might get you some more help. :D

Hey there Monte thanks for replying

First of all I guess Im on about a £500 budget

and at the moment Im still just reading my propellerhead reasons instuction manual so I`ll be starting of with that for producing dance orientated music (I do like nice bass though) will I be okay on such a tight budget?
So then.... anything spring to mind?

Cheers

Got a tenner??

Get some cable and run the output of your soundcard to the AUX input jack of your home stereo. Keep the EQ of the stereo flat (no bass boost) and then you can compare your recordings/compositions to the CDs you normally listen to anyway.

TimOBrien said:
Got a tenner??

Get some cable and run the output of your soundcard to the AUX input jack of your home stereo. Keep the EQ of the stereo flat (no bass boost) and then you can compare your recordings/compositions to the CDs you normally listen to anyway.

Yes to that....this is what I have done too. Also got a set of Klipsch 5.1 THX's with 4 satt. and sub. for about 400.00 US
I can compare between the 2 of em.

I love my Klipsch's but they are horrible for monitoring. I did a scratch mix on them before I hooked up my ol trusty NS10M's for another mix and the Klipsch mix sounded like crap in comparison.

The Klipsch's have no mid range and a very exaggerated high and low end. They are AWESOME for games and general listening, especially at that price, but they are horrible monitors IMHO. They especially kill the vocals for some reason. Do yours always sound like there is a little extra reverb on the vocals?

Corpsee -

Since you are obviously a Brit, I would suggest looking for used speakers at a "boot sale" (U.S.= garage sale) I have bought dozens of great speakers - Klipsch, Wharfdale, Altec, Fisher, cheap at garage sales. With the money you'll save you can buy a good mic and some decent phones.

Bob
Tropical Anglophile

If he is actually looking for reference monitors I wouldnt recomend listening speakers. Do a search here on "monitors" and you will see a lot of recomendations.

There are good ones by:
Event
Yamaha
JBL
Alesis
and many, many more...

TexRoadkill said:
I love my Klipsch's but they are horrible for monitoring. I did a scratch mix on them before I hooked up my ol trusty NS10M's for another mix and the Klipsch mix sounded like crap in comparison.

The Klipsch's have no mid range and a very exaggerated high and low end. They are AWESOME for games and general listening, especially at that price, but they are horrible monitors IMHO. They especially kill the vocals for some reason. Do yours always sound like there is a little extra reverb on the vocals?

Yeah Tex, I know what you mean, they dont have midrange adjustments, or any EQ for that matter, thats why I switch between them and my home stereo to compare. Actually before I do a burn, I mix to a CDRW and sample it on other peoples systems, in my car, in a portable, etc... before I do a final mix and burn.

yea

i have the klipsch 4.1's, ive been trying to do leveling and mastering, its tough, i switch between headphones and listen on other systems, but i really need some monitering speakers. im young and poor so not yet.

sattelite systems are not designed for mixing purposes. sattelite systems really are a space efficient design, but the trade off in audio quality is staggering. even the best of these that I've heard miss a lot of mid range. even worse are ones that are designed for games or movies. the response needs to be really flat.
that said, more and more people are buying sat/sub systems, so it is good to listen to them to get a guage of how it will sound on them, but you really should do your main mix on a nice flat sounding full range system.

Back