My daughter and me

One day my daughter, 18, says she wants to record a song she wrote. She hasn't been playing guitar very long and I've only heard her singing in school choir, rarely solo. So my expectations were not too high but I figured it would be a good lesson to let her hear herself.

But she surprised me. It's not that bad and I often get this song stuck in my head. It was also my first use of Sonar's effects-send level envelopes.

I did not track or mix this very hot but it still sounds like there's a harsh build-up towards the end. I don't hear it when soloing the tracks. I used a GT55 with the low-cut switch on. In another situation where that mic was used w/low-cut switch, but for a much stronger female voice, on it seemed to introduce some harshness. Any GT55 users notice the same thing?

All Coming Back:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3924&alid=-1

Awesome.

Acouple vocal lines I'd change,..well,..not lyrics but overdub the line.
Other than that,...sweet.
Very good.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Wow...this is really a neat piece. she has a very good vocal tone...is she single? lol..jk...

good job,

James...

That's touching.

I'd do the opening verse, maybe all of them, with minimal effects so at :36 the verb and delay in the chorus would have more impact.

You've got a hit here I think if you just add a really solid sounding acoustic guitar or two.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The vocal track is actually an aggregate of the best of two tracks, but she would like to try again.

Timothy, the line "thoughts circling 'round my head" is what inspired me to try the echo effect using a level envelope. I tried not to overdo it but am really taken by this technique and no longer have an unbiased opinion about it. I thank you for yours.

Have to agree with everyones comments above. If you could get a nice clean guitar track that's as good as the vocal, it would help immeasurably. I might even suggest some kind of string patch underneath the mix to give a little body too. But I'm notorious for going overboard with some of my stuff though. :D

Really good piece of music and nice vocal. Like to hear more.

Hell yea Eddieray, thats a great song!! I could see it building up into a grand production with an orchestra such from the acoustic!

I think the reveb is a little heavy when its at the same time as all the repeats.

Eddie,

Very nice indeed! Your daughter has a great voice.

I have recorded a substantial amount of material with my youngest daughter over the years. She's now 29 years old... :confused: which means I'm old! :mad: :D

Keep encouraging your daughter!

Great Eddie - your daughter has inherited your musical talent - that's really rewarding... She sounds a bit like Kelly Clarkson in some - I really dig that. Your editting is great - no noticeable edits that I could hear. The acoustic is a bit muddy but as it plays second fiddle to the vocals I don't mind it. A better take would always be a better take ;) . But it sits nicely so far. I like the arrangement too. The back up vocals remind me of something rayc did with his pal Miriam. Effective and fills up the space nicely. Harmonizing with oneself always sounds sweet because the vocals are so similar. That echo part at :36 is really creative...... Great job by all.....

:) :D :) :D

Like Timothy I'd like the verses drier. Keep the FX for that single phrase but dry up the rest of the verse. The level of effects is a bit Enya toward the end & might suit accappella better or be boosted by some synth strings (nice ones mnd).
She's done a nice job.
You'd probably get better dividends by recording a good harmony vocal track.

Very nice...the performances are great, and the mix sounds good. Very nice voice. It's a pretty sounding song, and extremely enjoyable.

Thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement. Not sure when I'll get to it but we'll defintely be reworking it.

Very nice voice. Nice recording sound, definitely a lot of potential here. Personally I can hear a nice distant clean electric lead line in places sounding real cool here... like wicked gamish tone... or maybe even a solo with that melody before you hit the final chorus, then as someoned meantioned, some strings would be a cool outro. Anyway, just some ideas... Enjoyable piece ;) :)

Watch the GT55 Dynamic Range

I have a gt55 that I have grown to love. It's not the greatest mic for female vocals. It can give you a hint of harmonic distortion without the warmth provided by a tube mic. Make sure you watch your distance and don't drive the preamp to hard and you should be fine. Just MHO

Back