My C3 not working???

KevinTran

OK, help out guys. This is my first condenser mic. I just got it in and tried hooking it up just now.

I have the C3 plugged into low Z xlr with phantom power on.

I also have my Shure sm58 next to it. The Shure is putting out a signal, but no matter how i fiddle with the C3 and the gain on it, i get nuthin, zippo, nada. Am I missing something?

Alan, if you're hanging around, I need you man.

kt

It may be your phantom power is not working. Try to hook the mic up to another mixer or pre to test it, most music stores will be happy to help you. Conversely you could find another condensor mic to test it the phantom out on.

If you are using an XLR - 1/4" cable phantom power won't work. You'll need an XLR Male to XLR Female for phantom to work properly.

Beez

OK, just went out to GC and the mic is fine. I guess my options are to get my phantom power fixed on the mixer or buy a mic pre.

What do you guys suggest?

Oh yea, also, if disconnect the cable from my mic with the phantom power still on, does that screw up the mic?

KevinTran said:
Oh yea, also, if disconnect the cable from my mic with the phantom power still on, does that screw up the mic?
Yea, that's not a good thing to do. Turn down the mic gain and then turn off the phantom power before unplugging anything.... and reverse the process before turning on the phantom power.

KevinTran said:
OK, help out guys. This is my first condenser mic. I just got it in and tried hooking it up just now.

Alan, if you're hanging around, I need you man.

kt

Sorry Kevin, but I just got here, and it seems you now know the mic works. The C Series need pretty much all of the 48V that a phantom supply puts out. Once under load, the volts drop so those that only put out 24V before loading just do not cut it.

Always turn your input and output gains down before turning the phantom power on and off. When turning on, wait 30 seconds for the mic to charge up, then bring up the gains slowly. Do the same on power down, Drop all the gains, turn the phantom power off, and wait about 1 minute until the caps uncharge.

As for mic amps, if indeed you need one, there are a lot out there. Of course we would like to see you in a VTB-1, but others will work and get the job done.

If you need me, e-mail me direct at alan@pmiaudio.com in the future. Of course that is during the week. I am off on the weekends!!!! :cool:

Thanks for the reply.

Found the problem. BAD XLR CABLE. I'm so new at this I assumed these things never went bad. Anyway. picked up a nice monster cable from GC and the mic sounds great now. Look forward to recording with it.

Back