My *BEST* New Guitar EVER!!

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Finally, after 2 other failed attempts at purchasing my "dream guitar" from Musicians Fiend, I have finally got the guitar that I have been hoping to own for the 25+ years I've been playing!!!

You can read about guitar #1 here:
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149348

You can read about guitar #2 here:
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149563

...And here are shots of guitar #3:

dsc0547trimsmln1.jpg

dsc0551trimsmnf5.jpg

Here's my thread relating to #3:
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149753

Thanks to Saul at Centre City Music!! This thing is the bomb!!!!!

Sorry, gotta get back to jammin'!!!

Let me know what you think! (about the guitar)

-mr moon

Nice....really nice....congrats.

Thanks. Been playing 'er for just over a week now, and it's unbelievable. It kind of sucks that you have to pay (so much) for this kind of quality, but it makes sense, I guess. ...I mean, I have other really nice guitars, some inexpensive and some not so much, but this one just has that solid vintage feel that I haven't gotten from any of my other guitars.

-mr moon

Dayum. I just read through the threads you linked.

1. Martin D16GT? Damn fine guitar, eh? I have a D16GTE, been happy as can be with it.

2. Did one of the LPF forumites suggest you need a set-up on a new R9? I know Gibson has to cut some corners to get those things out the door for a meager $4k, but couldn't they set them up properly themselves?

3. The Traditionals you returned... holy crap! Or should I say, wholly crap? The second one in particular makes me feel a lot better about my Xavieres. My LP copy from GF isn't much worse than that, and it was sold as a Blem. It was also $150... and my other three X's are all better jobs, from $175 to $379.

Dayum. I just read through the threads you linked.

1. Martin D16GT? Damn fine guitar, eh? I have a D16GTE, been happy as can be with it.

2. Did one of the LPF forumites suggest you need a set-up on a new R9? I know Gibson has to cut some corners to get those things out the door for a meager $4k, but couldn't they set them up properly themselves?

3. The Traditionals you returned... holy crap! Or should I say, wholly crap? The second one in particular makes me feel a lot better about my Xavieres. My LP copy from GF isn't much worse than that, and it was sold as a Blem. It was also $150... and my other three X's are all better jobs, from $175 to $379.

Hey, here are some quick replies to your email point-by-point before I crawl off to bed...

1. Yup, the D16GT replaced my SeaGull acoustic which I broke the headstock off of and repiared myself years ago. I posted about it here at HomeRec as a matter of fact, so I'm sure the thread is still out there somewhere. Anyways, I had to finally sell the SeaGull today to help finance this new guitar.

2. The R9 I have does not need to be set up. There are some folks there (LP forum) who may mean well, but they take "anal-retentive" to an all new level. I saw a post there last night that suggested all new R's need to sand down their tops to fit the *plastic* pickup mounting brackets properly, and then re-finish them. I almost felt like asking if it wouldn't be easier to just reshape the plastic mounting bracket, but then thought better of it...

3. Yes, the Traditionals I received were crap. However, I cannot blame this entirely on Gibson; I think the dealers need to inspect each and every guitar (or other musical instrument) by hand before shipping to maintain a quality product supply to the consumers. I will most likely never buy from MF again, at least not an instrument, because they don't care what they send to you. They just hope (expect) you to accept it regardless of the condition it arrives in.

There is more to this story (purchasing the "Traditionals") that continues to unfold, but I cannot share it yet. Let's just say that sometime emailing really big companies *can* get results!! ;)

-mr moon

Let's just say that sometime emailing really big companies *can* get results!! ;)

-mr moon

Good for you, keep turning the screws.

Lest my prior post be mistaken, that guitar is stunning, I even started sniffing around the web looking at the current models. Can't say that I'd be likely to buy new, but I might keep an eye out for a local Classic Antique, if I can inspect/play it before purchase.

Good for you, keep turning the screws.

Lest my prior post be mistaken, that guitar is stunning, I even started sniffing around the web looking at the current models. Can't say that I'd be likely to buy new, but I might keep an eye out for a local Classic Antique, if I can inspect/play it before purchase.

http://www.ccitymusic.com/

Ask for Saul.

Big difference between the Traditionals and what comes out of the Gibson Custom shop. Can't even begin to describe the difference ...well, I guess I kind of have, with sending 2 Traditionals back and keeping the 1st R9 that came my way! ;)

Good night...

-mr moon

Back