My Bass won't stop moving!

prestomation

Well, it's my drummers bass drum. When we are rehearsing, he's gradually kicks his bass drum forward, and when he readjusts he, instead of putting it back, seems to move the rest of the kit foward, the result is the whole thing moves up to a couple feet over the course of a couple hours. He is missing one of the rubber feet on one side, would that be the problem? Is this a common problem?

put a carpet under the drumkit. its crazy the amount of drummers who forget to bring carpets to put under the drums at places with slippy floors.

Better yet! If the bass drum spurs have spikes under the rubber feet, take them off and then use carpet. Also, never never never let the front rim of the bass drum touch the ground! You should be able to slide your fingers in between the rim and the ground.

BIG difference!!

Other things that can also work:

1) Tie a length of rope to each of the kick drum spurs and loop around the drum throne - the drum throne then acts as an anchor (this is a very old school approach, we use to tie the rope to the T-rods on the kick batter side - these days, most drums don't have T-rods)

2) Place a couple of metal mic stand plates in front of the kick (use some fabric to protect the drum shells)

In the end, if all else fails, stage weights work quite well (I've used my fair share of tham to stop the "Creeping Kick" :D)

Tie a length of rope to each of the kick drum spurs and loop around the drum throne - the drum throne then acts as an anchor (this is a very old school approach, we use to tie the rope to the T-rods on the kick batter side - these days, most drums don't have T-rods)
T-rods went out with "trap kits" and Ringo :D

Ouch!!! I knew I was showing my age...but. I guess that's why my answer to "who's the greatest drummer" was Ringo:D

Back