my bass trap build......

giraffe

i love negative rep
well, broad band traps really.

what's new here, well........ not a lot really it's well trodden ground but i think this design has a few advantages of others that i've personally seen.

the sides of the 703 (or whatever you use) are exposed, so that you get slightly more absorption for your buck then if you use closed side trap design.

there is very little wood needed for the frame, so they are light and cheap to make, but they are still plenty sturdy.
there is a cavity in back of the trap, extending the low end response slightly.
ultimately, it's just a combo of a few things i've seen.

frame-sm.jpg

simple.
take a bunch of 1X2 's and cut them 4 ft long (or eight) and some more cut to be 1ft 10.5 inches (better to be a little small here then big)

take some 2X4 's and cut squares. (actually 3.5 X 3.5)
pre-drill small holes in the 1X2's then attach them to the (3.5X3.5) squares. with dry wall screws, or whatever. (see pict)
if i makes you feel better, throw a couple small finish nails in there too.
i did, but it's probably not nessessary but i did. i also pre drilled these holes cause i'm anal like that. (and the wood is so small)
here's a 8 ft one.
frame-bg.jpg

then
sm-w-insu-frnt.jpg

lay your insulation on this frame (what i'm useing here is some stuff i got at a yard sale for 50 cents a piece. i'm not sure exactly what it is but my room already has a bunch of trapping, and i figured more couldn't hurt, whatever it may be)

then take some large (are they called lag?) screws, put a washer on them and poke them through the insulation and screw them into the squares underneath at the corners.
you may want bigger washers then i used, but i'm not sure that it's necessary

close up of the center of the 8 ft trap
insu-center.jpg

then......
cover1.jpg

lay your trap on your thrift store material and start stapling it to the back of the frame.

cover2.jpg

i didn't cover the back of my traps, but you can if you want.
then...
cover-fini.jpg

(i'm using 4" on all these by the way)
this trap is currently hanging in the wall celling corner behind the mix position.
another nice thing about these is that you can screw hangers into the squares (very sturdy), or just hang the trap off the 1X2 frame from some screws or something.

hope you like.
(and hope i don't exceed my photobucket bandwidth)

-me

that trap
make sure to pull it tight as you go around.

Back