My band's entire EP.

geet73

OMG!
http://www.llocal.outburst8.com/MP3/The%20Premier/The%20Live%20Like%20You're%20Dying%20EP/

Here is my band's entire EP. We're called The Premier and I recorded it all, as you may know. I've posted these mp3's a billion times.. but here is the completed EP.

Kit:
Kick - D112
Snare/Toms - SM57
OHs - SM81
Room - MK319

Guitars - Peavey 5150>Behringer cab>SM57
Bass - Direct
Vocals - Studio Projects B1

We used a Presonus Firepod on the drums and a Behringer MX2004A on everything else.

I was curious how some of you thought this came out. I think it's one of the best recordings I've done to date, but I feel that I missed a few things. I just wanted to know if any of you thought I approached this in the right way, blah blah. It's already been pressed.. so there's no real point in me going back over and remixing it.

I posted this over at Gearslutz.. so I apologize if you've already seen this thread.

I know we're not incredible singers and I did not uber-autotune everything like everyone seems to do these days. I like the fact that it's perfect.

Please be honest.. but be constructive at least.

Also.. the first track is much more relaxed than the rest are. They're all slightly different, style-wise.

Thanks.

Reactions: XLR
I listened to Last Chance Rhode Island. Good work. I like the hard panned gtr parts. The drums and bass are good but could have been a little more prominent IMO as the gtrs overshadow them. I like the acoustic piano and guitar interlude near the end and the surprise staccato ending.

Tim

Hey
Congratulations for your work. Recording an album on your own is not easy and i appreciate that.

Now, about sound, i have a few tips for you:

- Try to add more compression to the vocals. Compression make vocals and most instruments sound "pro". Some engineers may think different, but for me, compression is the key to make any recording sound professional.
I dont know how you compressed it, but try lowering the threshold, i always use between -20 and -30. Use a high ratio like 8:1 or higher. A fast attack and medium release.

- Try to incorporate a compressor for your main bus, it will bring the kick drum and snare more "in your face".

I think that's about that, the tones are good, everyhing is almost clear, but you need CONTROL on your mix. don't be scared of using compression, try it and you'll see how your mixed become better

cya

Thank you, Tim. There are quite a few things I really wish I had done differently.. but it's too late now. Heh.

Izzy, I compressed the vocals a decent amount. I don't remember the threshold.. but I'm pretty sure it was around -20. The ratio was pretty damn high.. 10:1 or something. I also had the knee set to hard. I'm not scared of compression at all. :)

I had a compressor on the main bus.. but I'm not a fan of super-squashed recordings, so I tend to go really light with it.

Thanks.

Any comments on the music itself? I write everything there. I don't write the lyrics, but I usually have a big role in the vocal lines, too.

compressor acts depeding on the input signal. maybe it was too low.
anyway, it didnt sound "compressed enough" to me. try to move to 30

About the songs, they are cool
good job

hey now
i realy dig what u have doen with the firepod, u did a grate job all around
what softwere did u use? what was the room like? what computer set up did ya use? thankz for posting this

good job man
R otto
:D

Thank you. We used Cubase for the software. It was recorded in my drummers bedroom.. which is a small room. My computer room is 13X15X8.. that's still pretty small. His is smaller. All the vocals were done in this room. There's no treatment on the walls or anything. My computer is a homebuilt one. AMD2500+ with 2gb of RAM. 360gb of hd space. My monitors are KRK RP8s.

Thank you.

It's working for me.

I dig the songs, and I agree with you that the "unfinished" or "less then perfect" to it is very appealing.

I love the little stuttery guitar part on Last Chance.

I do seem to think I hear some distortion here and there...like at 1:27 to 1:30 on Last Chance coming out of the right speaker.

Also on the drum parts on Great American novel, but I guess that's intentional?

tv

ah its working for me now.
for some reason this reminds me of the get up kids - four minute mile so much.. just because its a first album by a band that has the ability to be great. or meneguar.. dunno if you've heard them, they just released an amazing record on magic bullet records earlier this year. or maybe its the vocals that remind me of it. dueling sung vocals that don't ever bother with being in tune. actually one of the singers reminds me so much of the guy from meneguar.

i sent you a pm earlier asking about your monitoring situation but this thread answers my question, hah.

i really don't the distorted vocals at the end of track 5.. and i thought track 3 has some bad lyrics that ruined the flow of the vocals. i would have probably brought the guitars a bit lower on some of the songs because their slightly overdriven but very clear tone starts to detract from the song. like on track 5.

you say there was no treatment on the room that the drums were recorded in? what kind of overhead placement did you use? i'm amazed that there isn't more of a cheap room sound. when i recorded in my bedroom it would echo like mad.

oh, and who pressed this?

oh god i just got to the awful metalcore vocals on track 6. that was so random and out of place. that shit belongs in triggered mosh songs, not something like this. and the from autumn to ashes style outro song is so bad.

I don't hear The Get Up Kids too much.. but thanks.

About the vocals.. I feel they're pretty in tune for the mopst part. They're just not "perfect" like most records put out these days.

The screaming vocals in track 6 were our good friend, Justin. When I wrote the song with the lyrics.. I was trying to bring it up to a climax there. I guess I'm just used to it.. but I don't mind them so much. It's funny.. he actually is in a metalcore band. I wasn't trying to do it because "every band does it" or anything.

The outro was the bassist/lyricist's idea. I was pretty "meh" about the idea. I've never liked From Autmn to Ashes and never paid attention to anything more than the two songs I've heard. Horrible band.

The room itself was my drummers bedroom which is smaller than my current room, which I described in that PM. There's a couch, a dresser, a bed, and some other random things in there.. no treatment, though. The overhead placement was just a spaced pair(if that's waht the technique is even called). The one was about two feet above the middle of the hi-hat and left crash. The other was about two feet above where the right crash and china met.

We got our CD pressed by Icon Omnimedia. www.builtbyicon.com

There are a few things in the recording I really wish I had spent more time with. The are a few places with a noticable clipping sound.. MEH. I was really, really fed up with this CD though. It took seven months to complete because we lost our singer, my mom had a heart attack, and some other very unfortunate things that held us back. I wanted to have this mastered to a lower volume. My band wouldn't have it. I wanted less low end on the entire recording.. wasn't happening.

Thank you for tajking the time to listen and offering your criticisms. I really appreciate it.

Back