My band (Hardcore / Punk).

I gotta say, with the not-so-perfect playing aside as you said, I like this. Like more than usual. It's one of the best home brewed punk and/or hardcore mixes i've EVER heard by a lot - and thats saying a lot, haha.

Anyways man, I have a thing for this kind of drum mix, so good effin job. The guitar and bass are great, not to mention the more conducive fact of them being at the right levels.

Kay but my gripe, which isn't even bad, is that I feel that if the vocals where brought foward in the mix you would gain ALOT, because they sound clear and are well performed for the genre, actually in general if you ask me. Donno if it's you doing the vocals or whoever it is, but don't be shy with those bad boys, however don't let them get annoyingly over the top which I doubt you'd do if you decide to bring them up a bit.

Playing wise, whoever is drumming needs to tighten up on those doubles. thats kinda killing an otherwise AWESOME cadence with the guitar parts where there are doubles. not usre how you are going about the tracking, but I always make a really tight rythmn track WITH a click track for the drummers to follow so that the parts can be nailed in a minimum amount of takes. Just what I do, but I'd be thrilled to hear this done with more timing-accurate takes...!!!!! (I'm a metal guy alot of the time, but I'm equally a hardcore and punk lover, my opinion is you are definitely on to something with this. Basically what it is reminding me of is some comeback kid with better quality. I need better references, don't wanna be insulting.)

soundvile said:
I gotta say, with the not-so-perfect playing aside as you said, I like this. Like more than usual. It's one of the best home brewed punk and/or hardcore mixes i've EVER heard by a lot - and thats saying a lot, haha.

Anyways man, I have a thing for this kind of drum mix, so good effin job. The guitar and bass are great, not to mention the more conducive fact of them being at the right levels.

Kay but my gripe, which isn't even bad, is that I feel that if the vocals where brought foward in the mix you would gain ALOT, because they sound clear and are well performed for the genre, actually in general if you ask me. Donno if it's you doing the vocals or whoever it is, but don't be shy with those bad boys, however don't let them get annoyingly over the top which I doubt you'd do if you decide to bring them up a bit.

Playing wise, whoever is drumming needs to tighten up on those doubles. thats kinda killing an otherwise AWESOME cadence with the guitar parts where there are doubles. not usre how you are going about the tracking, but I always make a really tight rythmn track WITH a click track for the drummers to follow so that the parts can be nailed in a minimum amount of takes. Just what I do, but I'd be thrilled to hear this done with more timing-accurate takes...!!!!! (I'm a metal guy alot of the time, but I'm equally a hardcore and punk lover, my opinion is you are definitely on to something with this. Basically what it is reminding me of is some comeback kid with better quality. I need better references, don't wanna be insulting.)

Ah man, thanks a lot for the awesome response. =] I'm glad you liked the song, and it makes me feel really proud that you said it's one of the best punk / hardcore home studio mixes you've heard. STOKED!

I had the vocals up a little bit higher, but our bassist wanted them down a bit. I'll bring them up, and he won't notice, haha. I actually play guitar in the band.

The drummer is just kind of sloppy, he hasn't been drumming that long, which kind of sucks. I think with a solid drummer who can do better fills / etc, my band would be 10x better. We just can't find a drummer, though. He didn't record to a click track, but I probably should have set him up to play to one though (NOTED). Also, we recorded this after not practicing for a month and a half (not a good idea, but we can't find a place to practice and wanted to throw something up on myspace, haha.) Comeback Kid is an awesome band. The other dudes think we sound a little like Another Breath / Count Me Out / etc. Which are 2 great bands.

Anyway dude, thanks a lot of the info / criticism / response (!!). I'll post the finished product hopefully soon. =]

Peace!

This makes me think of some old school stuff, that would be on a snowboard video or something. I used to listen to stuff like this all the time.

I don't think the vocals need to come forward all that much, they could use some more stereo fullness though if you know what I mean.. just subtle delay or something I don't know.. really it's almost perfect as it is.. cool stuff.

Mistral said:
This makes me think of some old school stuff, that would be on a snowboard video or something. I used to listen to stuff like this all the time.

I don't think the vocals need to come forward all that much, they could use some more stereo fullness though if you know what I mean.. just subtle delay or something I don't know.. really it's almost perfect as it is.. cool stuff.

Thanks dude, you have no idea how much that means to me, haha. I've never really added delay to the vocals to spread it out, any suggestions? Parameters I should try? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening, also. =]

Peace!

Dunno, what program do you use? Easiest thing to do is check out any delay/verb plugins you might have and go through the presets, see if there's anything suitable. If not I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

Mistral said:
Dunno, what program do you use? Easiest thing to do is check out any delay/verb plugins you might have and go through the presets, see if there's anything suitable. If not I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

I'm using Pro Tools LE. I haven't really used the delay's on DigiRacks, but I can take it into the studio at my school and add some Waves SuperTap Delay, which i've used on guitar and it sounds amazing, haha. Never tried on vocals..

Well, this would really be more of a subtle effect.. all you really want to do is offset the channels by maybe 20-40 ms.. rough guesstimating here, as in the end I really just go with my ear. So I don't even know if my suggestion would sound good, but just to me, I like a vocal to feel fat so that's the first thing that popped into my head.

awesome man I definitely want to help out in the circle of guys that like the same stuff as me.

but yeah I may have overstated about the vocal thing. Like if it does need to be slightly "louder" in the mix, only by a hair. Mistral is onto the right thing with that, but I don't know exactly what to tell you about stereo widening SPECIFICALLY because there are some chorus things you can use CAREFULLY to fatten, but my take on it would be to try out some room emulation (I use sonar's stock vst deal called "perfectspace" and mess with the envelope to be rather short, then play with the panning envelope so that it "bounces" very quickly from right to left, sometimes just two bounces or so maybe more, and see what it gives you. the only thing is you can't overdo this method, because then it makes it sound wayyy overprocessed, but used subtly, it can be great for giving it like an "aural" depth of field..

I wouldn't want the actual sound of the vocals to change because purity is what is making these vocals awesome for me, but if you can find something that does what I'm describing I dunno... It's really complicated on how to do this kinda stuff without jacking up the purity of the original sound. I do it a lot, though, because I never want the same "color" coming out for two different vocalists. mistral just posted about checking out the verb and delay stuff, too, and I'd check out a really short and un-obvious delay, hopefully with some sort of panning option to play with.

edit: perfectspace is a convolution reverb module with lots of options and stock impulses included, there smore floating around the net, but theres alot of stuff in it you can allude to if delays don't do the trick.

Mistral said:
Well, this would really be more of a subtle effect.. all you really want to do is offset the channels by maybe 20-40 ms.. rough guesstimating here, as in the end I really just go with my ear. So I don't even know if my suggestion would sound good, but just to me, I like a vocal to feel fat so that's the first thing that popped into my head.

I'll definitely try it out man. =] Thanks a lot for the info / suggestion. Like I said earlier, i'll try and have the finish product up soon. Peace!

Yea I agree, room emulation may be another way to go. And as you said it's really all about preserving the original feel while just giving it a slight adjustment to give it the right amount of polish.

actually come to think of it I use what I'm talking about on my mixes of From the Gallows and also on my own voice in the demo montage 1 file on my myspace

neither are even close in genre, but I'm pointing it out because I kinda didn't realize I use it all the damn time...

soundvile said:
awesome man I definitely want to help out in the circle of guys that like the same stuff as me.

but yeah I may have overstated about the vocal thing. Like if it does need to be slightly "louder" in the mix, only by a hair. Mistral is onto the right thing with that, but I don't know exactly what to tell you about stereo widening SPECIFICALLY because there are some chorus things you can use CAREFULLY to fatten, but my take on it would be to try out some room emulation (I use sonar's stock vst deal called "perfectspace" and mess with the envelope to be rather short, then play with the panning envelope so that it "bounces" very quickly from right to left, sometimes just two bounces or so maybe more, and see what it gives you. the only thing is you can't overdo this method, because then it makes it sound wayyy overprocessed, but used subtly, it can be great for giving it like an "aural" depth of field..

I wouldn't want the actual sound of the vocals to change because purity is what is making these vocals awesome for me, but if you can find something that does what I'm describing I dunno... It's really complicated on how to do this kinda stuff without jacking up the purity of the original sound. I do it a lot, though, because I never want the same "color" coming out for two different vocalists. mistral just posted about checking out the verb and delay stuff, too, and I'd check out a really short and un-obvious delay, hopefully with some sort of panning option to play with.

edit: perfectspace is a convolution reverb module with lots of options and stock impulses included, there smore floating around the net, but theres alot of stuff in it you can allude to if delays don't do the trick.

I'll see if I can find something like this, cause it does need a bit more of a stereo image. Thanks dude!

Sounded Great, I do agree with the vocals being brought up.

I love this style of music by the way and it was recorded well imho, reminded of Skateboarding in front of the taco bell on lunch break from high school. :)

The stereo widening would definitely make sound more modern like Rise Against. To me it's more a matter of opinion and what sound you are going for.

Reminds me a lot of the kind of samplers I pick up at skate parks. Nice. Drummer needs some practice, though. Guitars sound really good. Bass could maybe come up a bit, and kick down just a TINY bit. Vox up.

Yeah, bring the vocal up a little, or change its EQ a bit to give it more body. Drumset comes through solid without being overbearing. Nice cymbal sound at the very end. The Eddy Murphy intro... lmao...

Back