My August song

CrankyOne

I decided to finish up a song I've had on my hard-drive for a while now. I sung it over a month ago, when I had the opportunity (as in, nobody was in the house to laugh at me :D ). I'm content on the mix, but what do you think, apart from the cheesy lyrics and lousy vocals? This is more straightforward than my previous prog-influenced ones. So, here's the song:

YES!!!!

Fantastic instrumentation..
Great ax sounds!!!
The drums sound fantastic!!!
Cool Riffage dude!!!
I like the vocals...they fit the song, no complaints here!!!
Whoa...thats a change right in the middle...cool
GREAT SOLO...CLASSIC!!!!
DOUBLE BASS DRUMS!!!!!!
Oh man I am downloading this one for many plays!!!!
You gotta tell us what you used to track this baby.
AYYY PLUS ALL THE WAY!!!
I just didnt like the abrupt ending, but other that that...

TURN IT UP MUTHA!!!
The King

The end-jam was a bit bad, I admit. It was meant to be better, but what can I do ? :D

I was rather surprised to get such a good reaction. Well, I guess there's plenty of brutalities to come. As always, I tracked it with Cakewalk Sonar.

no no man, I am a musician not much of an engineer so I gotta know...
Drums: real or canned?
Axes: Real amps or simmed
and you know all of the rest of that kind of stuff

Hey Cranky,
.........August must be hot where you are. Great work man. ........thanks for helping to heat up this kinda dreary Cali summer. TIGHT!!!!

G

Drums: not real
Axes: Zoom505-II through Amp-sim (Revalver)

And yeah, August has been unusually hot here now. The dryest (sp?) summer in decades. I'd like a little bit of rain once in a while.

ok ok, I guess I have been out of it lately. I have heard the term "Revalver" here a couple of times. What is it and who makes it because everytime someone says they use it...wait a minute it was your Metallica post that mentioned Revalver...well whomever...what is it and who makes it.

Get down cranky-nice axe work---I'm real glad you didnt say those were real drums-they sound good-I like the vocals-they make for a good combination of metal without the usual grunting waaaaaayyyyy-ahh!(thats my metallica imitation btw)-it sounds like a slacker singing metal! haha-I mean that in a good way! the guitar riffage is good-the part before it drops out the guitars have an odd quality-maybe its just less distortion....Anyway crankin tune for sure---sounded nice and clear to me.

I'll say it again...you play like a monster. I like the double kick. Your vocals sound decent on this. It sounds like you really let the fur fly and just SANG...like Cranky.

I think the bass could use a bump in the UP direction.

There are too many good things to comment on...seriously. Nice work.

Turn the bass up.

END OF THING
-chris

Not bad. Decent levels. The drums sound programmed but not horribly so. The punches are nice and appropriate. The arrangements are worked out for the most part. The double kick and straight ride sound dated but keep the song chugging forward. The song structure is a bit odd and the vocals and vocal expression is ummm a little odd too. The layered distorted vocal sound works. I dont know about those lyrics.

Overall not bad.

Thanks a bunch guys. The Revalver is an amp-simulator DirectX plug-in. That means I can use it with Sonar to make my crappy Zoom505-II sound like it's played through a real amp.

Here's the official site:
http://www.alienconnections.com

"Sounds like a slacker singing metal", <--- that's a good description of my vocals, indeed. :D

hmmm... the bass needs a bump up. I'll have to listen again to decide...

And about the lyrics... well. I guess I could print them out here so you can all decide how much they suck:

All the things I could remember
And every single flaw
Multiplied without disturbance
I couldn't help it at all

My mind was full of turmoil
I knew not what to do
About my paranoia
What were you thinking of me?

CHORUS:
When you were smiling with me
I thought you were laughing at me
As we attempted to chit-chat
I was waiting for the knife in my back
I really never did see
That all of your intentions
They were really all sincere
Instead I listened to the voice in my head

The more I thought about it
The more it made sense
You were just after my soul
I switched on my defense

Now the ugliness of the world
Did affect me no more
Even though something was missing
I just couldn't care less

CHORUS
When you were smiling with me
I thought you were laughing at me
As we attempted to chit-chat
I was waiting for the knife in my back
I really never did see
That all of your intentions
They were really all sincere
Instead I listened to the voice in my head

I lost you
I lost me
I lost my mind

Now I'm crying
Not even trying
I'm waiting for dying

:D

Very, very cool. Just damn nice all the way around. Nice beaks. It keeps it interesting. Killer tune.

Cranky Cranky Cranky One,

You write excellent tunes.. Your music always sounds a cut above the rest.. I'm glad to see you posting like a madman lately!

Your vocals are getting good, although I have to say that they are below the quality of the music.. I'm glad your singing though.. Your sound is so much better than mine that it gives me heart burn.. :D

Let's hear some more about the drums.. What exactly are you using?

Your accent comes shining through loud and clear on this one..

I have voices in my head and they usually lead me in the wrong direction too! :D

excellent Crankij!

keep em comin!

EDIT - My birthday was in August.. I will pretend this song was a present for me.. :D :rolleyes:

B.SABBATH said:

Your vocals are getting good, although I have to say that they are below the quality of the music.. I'm glad your singing though.. Your sound is so much better than mine that it gives me heart burn.. :D

Now, don't be so modest. You know your sound rules.

Let's hear some more about the drums.. What exactly are you using?

I use a soundfont that I've made myself. Well not entirely myself, since the samples are from various sources. I modified each sound somewhat. I'm getting lazy, so I tend to mix all the drums in one track, as opposed to tracking kicks, snares, toms & cymbals separately. I did that routine with the previous ones. Sure, there's some things that don't work when doing them on one track, like boosting the bass frequencies of the kick drum only, but anyway...

I do the drum tracks with Sonar. In the piano roll view. It's pretty slow, and I know fruity loops or something could be faster but I've grown used to Sonar so much that I don't mind.

Your accent comes shining through loud and clear on this one..

I have to say I'm not surprised, although I don't hear it myself, but still.

My birthday was in August.. I will pretend this song was a present for me.. :D :rolleyes:

I was kinda gonna make a cover song just for you, but the vocals suck on it pretty horribly... Maybe I'll finish it anyway one of these days :D

Excellent tune! That middle solo is classic for sure.

Lots of complicated bits in this song. Deep Purplish.

Great guitar tones.

Nice work!

Rockin' your brains out! Good guitar work.......rhythm sections tight........drums sound good.....picks up that ride cymbal well.......here's the guitar ride.....nice eastern beginning......now it's getting busy.....................................cool!.......now the change in groove......very cool vocals........good song man....this is very cool. :)

Whoa, cool intro... Dick Dale on acid! Man, levels are excellent... then come the vocals... on the money... guitars crunching nicely, cymbals crisp, bass laying in just right. Cool break around 2:05... then the solo from the Middle East... this is cool!
Ah, some serious head-bangin' around 3:20... oh man I love the strangely-doubled guitar line at the end... great track!

p.s. I just read Lt. Bob's review above... looks like we were smokin' the same corn silks. :D

Mmmm.. excellent drum progamming and guitar playing.
2.06 brake is JUST right :)

I don't like the canned drums too much, but they get the job done

Very cool song. Wake me up to hear you september song!

Excellent rocker. Nice guitar riffs throughout. Generally great guitar playing. For programmed drums, they sound awsome.

I liked the little changup that began at 2:06, but I thought it went on just a bit too long. However, it's followed up with a great guit solo. I had a bit of trouble hearing the words in spots. Lyrics - so-so.

But on balance - real good job.

Back