My Amp Volume Swells. Help!

Elisa

I have a Crate GT80 DSP (Tube Amp)and when we were jamming out this after noon the volume on the amp began to swell (fade in and out). At first I thought we were drawing too much electricity from one power outlet so I got an extention cord and pluged my amp into a different outlet (independent of everyone else). I also disconnected all pedals and plugged straight into the amp. Unfortunately, the amp volume still swelled. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem and how I can fix it. The problem only occured while the rythem channel was on and the Tubes were off.

Help !!!

Elisa

It could be the effects return jack,check it by patching in short patch cord from send to return. If you don't have effects loop, or you are using the effects loop, then you may have a bad solder joint or cracked circuit trace.

I think it could be anything, even the room you are in. I would say that if it was circuit related it would not swell, but crackle or just cut out altogether. Check to see if there is electrical inteference in the room like:
is there a tv or high voltage circuitbox in the area?

The swell might not be just volume but bifferent frequencies that feed back because many factors.

Try the amp again in different surroundings first and see what happens. Also try different guitars on the amp. Try to see if it does it constantly in any sceario.

Does your amp have a compressor circuit built in like some amps do? If so, maybe that's what you're hearing. Could be not working properly or it's kicking in when you don't want it to.

Back