my 464 makes funny noises and doesnt work

AbuseTheMuses

I have a 464 I bought used. It worked just fine when I got it about a year ago, was not often used, but was well cared for and in good condition when I recieved it. The other night I went to plug it in and get it going and instead of just quietly loading up the LCD and waiting for me to tell it what I want, there was a buzzing, whirring kind of noise from somewhere inside the right side of the machine, near the recorder section and tape deck, not the mixing board. The mixing board side still works fine routing in and out but the recording section just will not work.

When I turn on my 464 it usually takes a couple of seconds for the LCD screen to go into the 00:00 ready mode where you can press the appropriate buttons to arm different tracks and such. The moment the LCD changes to its 'ready' state, the whirring buzzing noise becomes a slightly higher pitch, where it stays. None of the recording function type buttons or the cassette deck control functions register at all, I cannot play, rewind, arm/disarm tracks, set locate points, anything.

The only thing I can think of is that the chip that must control that section of operation might have just gone bad, because the buttons aren't true mechanical buttons, just clickables that trigger some controller inside it that controls the mechanical function. I am scared to take it apart and I have no idea who could fix this sort of thing any more or if its even fixable. Has this ever happened to anyone else with this kind of recorder? I understand the 488 used the same kind of control button system too. I miss my 424 Mk.I where all the mechanical buttons for the tape control were ACTUALLY mechanical buttons instead of some stupid microchip. yay for progress i guess...

I really hope it isn't just dead.

Hi,

Usually the common problems are 1. belts 2. soleniod get's sticky and it won't go into play mode, It also causes the tape deck to randomly "shut off" off during playback. Often pretty easy fixes. That high pitch whirling noise, sounds like a possible drive belt, as it may of slipped off and the motor is in free spin. However, not being able to access "certain' fuctions is rather puzzling....

In truth, Tascam models with the "computer Displays" imho are rather dicey. Also Realize that as these units get older they require work and constant upkeep inorder to keep them going. .

I also have a blue 424 MKII from the 1990's and it suffers from a simliar problem such as yours. However, I give it a good whack ontop of the transport area and it seems to knock it off for a while. (but I don't suggest that).

It's really hard to say what it could be without being there, as it could be a number of different things.
Hell, it could even be a button sticking, shorting out etc... Honestly, I'd look to the plain and simple and check the parts which get constant use and abuse first. The good news, that particular model ins't very difficult to take apart, normally just a few screws on the bottom, and it opens up like a laptop. Simple acces to the tape deck and you can than view if it's the drive belt.

Btw, The 424 isn't mechanical button transport, it's Logic controlled just like your 464. They're basically the same recorder from the same series. It most likely has the same tape deck as well. It was common for Tascam to do that for a series, they just added more bells and whistles is all.

Thanks for the reply. Now the next question (I am seriously mechanically challenged I just like tape for the sound but I have no idea how to fix it) I can handle opening it up, but after that;
;If it is the drive belt, what can I do about that (or actually, what should I be looking for?)

It does sound like a mechanical problem (rather than a chip)and the right side is where the transort is so most likely the belts. Drive belt kits are cheap (20 bucks) and an easy fix for a tech.

Back