My 1st Recording!!

Dk0r

Hey guys, my 1st recording on an Mbox and a pair of Samson C02 (junk ass sdc)

I suggest skipping ahead to 6:30
ClickHERE to listen

so despite the crackelig etc, what do u guys think about how that piano sounds? All i did was hit the record button, and xfer to mp3
thnks
dk0r

17 megs.... you've GOT to be kidding............. the whole point of MP3's was to make music clips SMALLER in size.......

Anyways -- the clip sounds distorted in spots and has strange imaging. Also the sound is a bit too closed and boxy to be realistic.

Not a bad first effort though....

Not bad, actually.

But simply sticking a mic somewhere, hitting record and exporting is not gonna get you anything nearly decent, ever.

The entire point of recording and mixing is to capture something so well that it is worth saving for later moment to listen to again.

heh just go's to prove how the ears differ!
i mean i know the recording technically sucks.. but uh
i kinda like the sound of the nano, it sounds like your right there with it.
maybe the word presence would describe what i mean..
blue bear, what do u mean by boxy?
if you guys would submitt what u think is a good solo piano recording i would appreciate listening for comparison.
thanks in advanced
teh dk0r

in my opinion, the piano sounds fine. like a piano infact.

hate to say it tho, i love piano music and stuff, but even after fastforwarding to where you suggested, i was bored quickly

Dk0r said:
hehe sorry! :\
will post different 'genre' next time.

mate, dont get me wrong. like i said, i like piano/classical music, regardless of whatever i write and record (which, to turn the tables on me, not everyone likes my thing either).
its not a dig, im just stating that the piano sounds good. but just something that long lost my interest very quickly

Dk0r said:
blue bear, what do u mean by boxy?
Boxy = sounds like you recorded in a small box... ie - has no sense of space or ambience

Dk0r said:
if you guys would submitt what u think is a good solo piano recording i would appreciate listening for comparison.
Check out any of Al Schmitt's Diana Krall recordings....

I loved the playing. Definitely sounds like a piano, but I think what you're being told is if it sounds good now, tweak it a bit and it could sound even better. I personally heard it as needing a little high end...not much, but a tweak. Long piece of music, but again I loved the playing.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Check out any of Al Schmitt's Diana Krall recordings....

Ne recording w.out nasty singers getting in the way? heh

thanks for the input guys, Quick question tho..
The recording was made 'hot'
as in.. almost peaking

If i drop the gain, i will most likely lose the clipping, but in descriptive terms, what effects will this have?

What does that mean?

Also, if ne1 could quickly describe what hell the a compressor does,.. pro's and cons in jazz quartet applications, it'd be appreciated

& please no... "its compresse's" hehe

thanks again!
dk0r

Back