MXR 990 or MXR V67G ??

GuitarzMyThing

MXL 990 or MXL V67G ??

Hi!

I'm looking for a microphone for vocals (mainly) and acoustic guitar.

I have about a 100-150$ budget. I liked the characteristics of both the MXL 900 and the MXL V67G but can't decide which one is better for me.

I was wondering if anyone else had some information on these that can help me make my decision. I usually play/sing anything from Kings of Leon to Steelheart (as my voice can go really high and really low).

If you need any more information, ask away!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe a lot of budget microphones have an inherent bit of harshness in the high frequency region, around 6,000 or 8,000 Hz. To make matters worse, compression tends to exaggerate that harshness which makes de-essing treatment necessary, thus resulting in an unnatural sounding track.

In looking at the response charts for each mic, I notice that the MXL 900 has more of a hump between 5,000 and 10,000 Hz. The V67G looks to be more smooth through that region.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the 67 will sound better, but it may deliver less troublesome tracks in the long run.

(My 2 Cents.)

My MXL 990 started to poop out after just a few months of moderate use, so I'm wary of the brand (and that model specifically)

The V67G has a better reputation than the 990 as far as I know. I have been down that road as I have two 990s and a few other mics. If you have to have a condenser, you might look for a used RODE or an sE.

I don't own anything ultra-fancy, so my input is biased in that sense. Still, I think the mic purchase with which I have been happiest is a good old SM-57. After buying one I started to think a little differently about mic purchases. It used to be, "I want a mic like X for Y dollars." Now it's more like, "I have Y dollars for a mic and a few requirements. What is the best-made, most widely-used mic I can get within my budget?" Requirements might be something like "works for vocals," "omnidirectional," or "good off-axis rejection and can withstand an animal drummer beating on it."

I have a V67G and it's been a very good mic for me. It's very smooth throughout most of the range.....although it can be slightly bright in the upper ranges. Not harsh....just bright. I've used it many times.......mostly for vocals.......but it's a good clean and solid mic for many uses. Keep your distance....at least 6 inches for vocals. Mine is getting pretty old now and so far it's performing like new.

Back