MXLV67 vs studio proj B1 - 20$ difference

Layla Nahar

Hi

I have found the B1 for $119, and the MXLV67 for 99$.

I use an M-audio transit as an interface. I want to get a mic to record guitar & voice. (With the setup I have now (sm57* and the transit) I get virually no signal unless I put it to my mouth and shout)

Is there any/enough difference between these two such that it would be worth paying $20 more for the B1?

Thanks very much

Ps - Regarding the SM57 - I understand now (that is, if I understand correctly) that its performance depends very much on the pre-amp. Anyroad - I'm a bit afraid of investing $$ in a mic again w/o being very cautious, so I appreciate any advice.

they're slightly different sounding mics, price is virtually the same really, both bargain basement. both are good. b1's actually my pick of the two, I haven't outgrown the b1 pair I own but I only briefly liked the v67 I used to own. the v67 isn't nearly as dark and warm as people claim IMHO. but they're both good solid mics, decently built and useful. I'd buy one or the other, then get into new territory (more expensive mics and/or some other flavours of dynamic mics like sennheisers and audixes).

Cheers,
Don

part of the problem may be that you don't have a preamp between the mic and the interface. i don't think the transit has one built in.

kojdogg said:
part of the problem may be that you don't have a preamp between the mic and the interface. i don't think the transit has one built in.

hmm. Before the transint, I had a us122 & I had the same problem with the SL57. I read the hr-faq & read the following below to mean that with a condenser I would get a hotter signal. Not so?

http://www.hr-faq.org/index.htm (scroll down)
What does this mean? Well, to me it means that:
2. Dynamic mics are generally going to be noisier then condensers because they need more gain due to the weaker signal. Actually, it’s the preamp that’s noisier. The mic itself is actually very quiet.

A dynamic's output is generally 10-20dB lower than a condenser. You need a preamp - period. Even if you get the condenser you will need phantom power in order for the condenser mic to work. Most preamps have that built in nowadays. With a decent preamp you should be able to do quite a lot with a 57.

PhilGood said:
You need a preamp - period.

I like clarity.

PhilGood said:
With a decent preamp you should be able to do quite a lot with a 57

I once got a behringer mixer - I'm pretty sure it had a pre-amp - and it sucked. It Hissed like crazy. And I got a US 122 and I was never able to get any kind of decent signal

Is it topic of off-topic here to ask for advice on a pre-amp? I don't want to spend a lot of money - but with what I've got the built in mics on my mac give me a better recording. if I want to get the job done - record my vocals and accoustic guitar - with good hot signal an no really obvious hiss - what can I get? how much will it cost? For example, is there something I could buy used for $75?

Last edited:
Well...

Layla Nahar said:
Hi

I have found the B1 for $119, and the MXLV67 for 99$.

I use an M-audio transit as an interface. I want to get a mic to record guitar & voice. (With the setup I have now (sm57* and the transit) I get virually no signal unless I put it to my mouth and shout)

Is there any/enough difference between these two such that it would be worth paying $20 more for the B1?

If you're planning on recording vocal, electric and acoustic guitars, and whatever else comes along, I'd go with the Studio Projects B1. It's smooth, amazingly accurate-sounding for a LDC, has low self-noise, consistant from B1 to B1 (buy two of them!) and works well on most anything you put it in front of.

Layla Nahar said:
I like clarity.

For example, is there something I could buy used for $75?

Well, for that kind of money, I'd be looking for a new or used Studio Projects single channel VTB1 ($75 is a bargain; $130+ is more like it) which can be clean or colored, and has a ton of gain for ribbon mics, or a MAudio DMP3 for $50-$175, which is pretty clean no matter what you do, or, my favorite little low cost/big bang mic pre/comp/EQ is the Joe Meek 3Q at around $200-$300 for a thoroughly cool single channel, which can be clean, or colored, or pretty much anything in between... you pick.

Food for thought. Peace.

I just got a Studio Projects VSTB-1 off ebay for 72$s shipped. its an open box and doesnt have any manuals but I can download them.. I don't have it yet but i will let you know what I think when i get it.

the V67 and the B1 are completely different mics and in my experience, they cover totally different grounds. The B1 excels at acoustic guitar and amplifier recording and pretty much sucks on vocals. The V67 excels at vocals and on drum overheads and pretty much sucks on acoustic guitar.

a low-budget recordist could go a long way with one (or a pair) of each.

cheers,
wade

just have to say, personally I dislike the B1 on acoustic guitar, much too much of that Large Diaphram mud to my ears. And I quite like it on some vocals. But I get your point, the v67 was designed as a vocal mic, the B1 wasn't so much (less of a presence boost to my ears), just saying that they really aren't all that different and really should be experimented with a bit to find the best sources to record with each mic.

For me, if you want a cheap mic that's amazing on acoustic guitar, buy an AT 2020 (or 2021, same thing with different case), but this thread isn't about recommending alternate mics so I'll stop right there.

Cheers,
Don

Talk about price difference

I had a very boring uninxpired weekend.

So for kicks I spent about a hour ABing 2 of my condenser mics.
I took an AT4040 and a CAD M177, I put the on my favorite preamps
which is an old Carvin MX1222 console.

I just tested with vocals same exact setting maybe a click more gain
on the AT4040. Let's see I paid $300 for the AT and $90 for the CAD.
I really couldn't find any difference in the two. I did notice that the sound
only improved when I played both back together.

Both seemed to have the same sonic characteristics.

I own both and prefer the V67 on vocals by a rather wide margin.

The B1 can take much higher SPL and gets more use as a drum room mic.

It is also not shabby on acoustic guitars.

This thread got me interested in my V67 again, so I did some tracking this morning with it on nylon string gtr into an EH tube pre. Maybe I'm just in a mood where everything sounds good, dunno, but that sucker sounded nice in the over-the-shoulder position.

Back