MXL603 female vocals... nice!

bleyrad

Check this.

Lucy Smith

Just recorded this girl today. First take. Did about 5 minutes of mixing (just a touch of compression and that ridiculous but damned impressive LOTR-type reverb.)
I had an inkling that this mic might be good on female vocals. I wasn't dissapointed.

So, anyone else out there that wants a reasonably impressive female vocal sound with a cheap mic they already own, don't skip over the MXL603 just because it's SD. Maybe I could have even charged more than $8/hour (CDN), but hey, it's my first time charging for recording.

Would that be a stereo recording? Or just with one of them?

I was considering a pair for instruments and accoustic guitar and stuff like that. It's nice to know it can do a double duty on vocals.

Wow that does sound really good i just listened.

I haven't listened on headphones, but on these multimedia speakers it doesn't sound like too much reverb. But i can't accuratly say.

But it sounds awesome. What was your signal chain? Soundcard and preamp and stuff.

Mackie 1604VLZ (not pro) -> MOTU 1224 (24 bit 44Khz)

She wanted that much reverb on this particular song. Actually, she wanted more, but I convinced her to get away with less. It's a LOTR song, and of course there's even more reverb than that on the original.
It sounded like a lot on my YSM1's, but listening on other speakers, it sounds like way less reverb than I thought I had put on there. I guess that's what happens when you have a wide, clear stereo field in a nearly-dead room.

DOPE!
Haha.
But yea that is awesome. Recording quality/performance i mean. Both are great. That is leaning me even more towards the mxl 603's

How do you find they perform on other sources? Ever use them as a stereo pair, or on accoustic guitar?

yeah, they sounded ok, not great. but that is probably mostly due to my cheap guitars.

quick note: i've found that, especially on cheaper guitars, if you double the track (if recorded in mono) or stereo mic the guitar, put a delay on one of the tracks and pan them. makes everything sound great.

Ok sweet. I'm wondering if the MXL 603s are the way to go, or if there is another stereo pair of SD condensors in the same sorta price range that would be superior?

i'm certainly satisfied with owning them. i just got them a few months ago and haven't really had the chance to put them through their paces, but i've been reasonably impressed with most of the stuff coming out of them. their transient response in particular is super. they sound pretty much neutral, perhaps a little thin in the upper-midrange and slightly exaggerated in the highs.
i nearly bought the NT5's, but the price difference is pretty significant. I got these mxl's from music123.com for 69.99 US each (just search on www.froogle.com then do a price match) but they ended up being over 300 CDN after shipping, taxes, import duties and service charges...yeah, that's pretty damn expensive. not happy about the price they ended up being. if you can find them in canada, go for that over ordering online.

HEY YOUR FROM VANCOUVER!!!
I'm on Vancouver Island!!

Where do you shop usually? It's hard to find stuff on the Island, in Victoria. They have a new big long and mcquade, but it's limited to long and mcquade stuff. There are a few small audio shops but maybe only 2, and they're small.

I guess you have Tom Lee as well. How does that stack up? I have a bunch of stuff i want but i have a feeling i'll have to take a day trip to Van to get it.

BTW why did you order away for the MXL 603s? Wouldn't there be a place in Vancouver that stocked them?

Long and Mcquade seems to reliably have both the nicest people and lowest prices. I'm not so into Tom Lee... they're more expensive in general and their sales people intimidate me.

I don't know if there's a place that stocks them. I just sort of assumed no one would have them, or that if they did, they'd be ridiculously overpriced compared to online. I've certainly never seen them on display, but then I usually only go to the Langley locations (i actually live in white rock, so that's closer for me than going to vancouver)

Aaahh i see. Do you order a lot of stuff online? Do you find a lot of sites are US based, and don't ship to Canada?

I've found that a lot. What about duty and what not, is it expensive?

Back