MXL v77 tube...comments

MrGrooves

My mic locker now consists of an MXL V77, SP C1, a pair of SP B3's, 3 sm57's, a pair of oktava 012's and 1 sm58. So far a decent start up mic locker that I believe will provide me enough flexibility for different tasks (I'm just missing a good kick mic ;) )
Well, the mxl v77 was my first condenser (and tube). I got lucky, got it from a friend brand new cause he needed the money and he sold it to me for a couple of bucks less the original price.
Anyway, I've read lots of good stuff about this mic, but strangely enough, it hasn't impress me enough. I guess for a tube mic i was expecting some mid range (of course) but also some tight, warmy low end. So far I've tried it on two male vocals, voice overs, and a female vocal as well. Now the C1, from the first listen I knew it was worth it for the low price. Bright, but with low end at the same time, in your face and I guess warm, with low end. The B3's, altough more neutral, still were worth the bucks. But the v77, not that it doesn't sound good, but i find it a little to much mid rangy, and just not impresive.
One attractive point of the v77 that I've found tough, is that it is extemely sensitive. It picks every little detail no matter how quiet, wich makes me think it might be a good ambience mic. Other than that, I dunno, the main purpose for me to have a tube mic was to warm thin vocals, but again, the mic sounds kinda mid rangy and thin itself. Not to mention the low max SPL rating. And I've done everything right. I've let warm for 45 minutes or so before using it. Even position it for use upside down to avoid the heat from the tube to affect the response from the diaphragm.
What are other owners using it for? Any one has any samples with it?
I was even thinking of selling it and get the SP TB1 mic wich has a more decent SPL handling spec. Any owners?...comments?
Maybe even save a little more and get an NTK, wich I've used in the past and like pretty much. Or even the v67G, wich I've already heard and like, just to have another option of LD vocal mic besides the C1.
Please lemme know your opinions.

I have read a lot of good things written about the MXL V69ME tube LD recently (more so than than the V77). People say its warm and colourful so might be a good complement to your C1 for vocals.

Last edited:
Fair enough comment Han. Unfortunately I havent had the chance to try out the mxl mics. Just wanted to let the poster know that guys like Harvey and Dot were pretty keen on the V69ME.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=291866&highlight=v69
http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=5410

Of course if warmth and colour was not what he was looking for, then the V77 would probably be the better option. Owning a C1 myself I find it a little thin and bright for some vocalists (maybe its my crappy pre?) so I can see how a warm, colourful mic like a v69 might be a good complement.

ps that second thread has Harvey comparing his v77 to the v69. I think you were interested in that comparison on another thread.

Last edited:
I have a V69, a V77, a SP B1 and a Neumann M149 which is the best mic of the four (I hope).

The B1 amazes me, it's the cheapest of the LD condensers and it sounds very decent and natural, a tad hyped in the highs.

The V77 comes closest to the Neumann, very natural sounding mic.

The V69 is the most colored, but that might be just what you need in a certain situation.

I have used the 69 recently on bariton saxes, which can sound pretty like cracking patato chips and the 69 coloted the sound in a nice and useful way. The 69 sounds big and very clear and that was an advantage for the saxes.

But it looks too nice with that gold top IMO.

I'm really likeing the V69 on elec. guitars..On vocals Ive tried it once so far..Pretty good except for when the singer belted a bit..it tended to "thin out" and loose some definision..I fooled with placement/distance{via popfilter}..It lost some of its "charm".LOL..with the distance that it needed to stay consistant..For the right voice{for this vox I went to a AT4060}..maybe for a ballad type O' thing it might work for this guy..this mic to me is pretty dam cool for the cash..

Don

I suppose it should be noted that maybe the opinions of the V77 varies more than usual because I know 797 Audio use to manufacture that mic... And If I understand correctly, they no longer do...

Han have you had the opportunity to compare your V69, V77,
SP B1 or M149 against the Audio Technica 3060 or 4060,
ADK-A-48, SP TB1 or T3 or Rode NTK (when are they bringing out a multi pattern version?) or Classic II?

Is there supposed to be any main difference (or, in general) between the sound of fixed pattern or multi pattern mics when in cardioid mode ie. in terms of level, freq. resp. and unexpected lobes in the pickup etc.?

I know that there are a fair number of other threads realting to tube mics (thanx for the link) but any more direct comparisons would be appreciated. I'm particularly interestyed in any vocal comparisons with these mics - female and male and also your preferred choice of mic pres.

Cheers

Glawfindle said:
Han have you had the opportunity to compare your V69, V77,
SP B1 or M149 against the Audio Technica 3060 or 4060,
ADK-A-48, SP TB1 or T3 or Rode NTK (when are they bringing out a multi pattern version?) or Classic II?

Is there supposed to be any main difference (or, in general) between the sound of fixed pattern or multi pattern mics when in cardioid mode ie. in terms of level, freq. resp. and unexpected lobes in the pickup etc.?

I know that there are a fair number of other threads realting to tube mics (thanx for the link) but any more direct comparisons would be appreciated. I'm particularly interestyed in any vocal comparisons with these mics - female and male and also your preferred choice of mic pres.

Cheers

I haven't had the opportunity to compare the mics to any AT mic, only to a Rode NT3.
The B1 is brand new and I only fired it up once, but so far it really amazed me that a mic in that price can sound so decent.

The problem with mics is that you try them by speaking into them, one two three testing........ssssss, pft pft, and you snap your fingers around them to find out the off axis response and you listen for proximity.

But, what will happen if you put the mic in the middle of an orchestra? I have yet to find out how the B1 will behave.

I have this Neumann M149 which is a great mic. I was at AES and there was an M149 in working order in one corner and a TLM103 in the other corner, both with a Sennheiser HD580 headphone.
The 149 sounded very big and crystal clear and the 103 like a boxy piece of crap, but thats subjective of course.

I have used the 149 in all situations now and it is a great mic, but not anybody can spend $4k+ on a mic.

About the fixed pattern and multy pattern thing. There is a significant difference between for example the hyper cardioid and the less hyper pattern on a M149, not to speak about the omni or fig 8. That's a completely different sound. I don't know whether there's a difference in a fixed cardioid or a multi pattern in cardioid. The M147 sounds different from the M149 in cardioid.

I'm very curious how the inexpensive multi pattern (tube) mics behave. Anybody?

I have had great results with many vocals with the M149, but some prefer another mic like a Beyer M88.

I've compared the B1 to the NT3 and an AKG C1000, by using my own voice, a bluesharp and some percussion and I prefer the B1, which is the cheapest so far.

But a C1000 can sound great on distorted guitars, it's all so difficult.

About the mic pre's, I have a DDA-AMR 44 board that has great pre's IMHO. I've tried some other pre's, also tube pre's, but that didn't sound any better, a tad different but not better.

The MXL mics came a month ago, sent by the Dutch importer who wants me to try them. The first thing I did was comparing them to the M149.
The V77 comes pretty close to the famous German sound, but the mic is very sensitive for handling noise, even in the shockmount you won't tap your feet on a wooden floor for you will hear nasty noise. Same with the V69.

I will try the MXL and the SP mics next weeks on a number of instruments like acoustic guitar and grand piano, together with the Neumann. I'll let you know what happens.

I've compared the V69 to the AT4060...The 4060 is bigger/clearer and more even than the V69..this was with a transparent pre{Grace}..Still a cool mic for the $IMHO..I wonder how a change in tubes would affect the V69 or the 4060 for that matter..I gotta check that out

Don

Han said:
I will try the MXL and the SP mics next weeks on a number of instruments like acoustic guitar and grand piano, together with the Neumann. I'll let you know what happens.

Cool, I'll look forward to your post Han....but would you have any Rodes (maybe NT1-A, NT2, NT3, NT5, NT1000, NTK or Classic II) that you could compare them to as well please?

Back