• Audio Technica 3525 @ $150

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • wait for SP B-3 @ $150

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • SP C-1 @ $230

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Randy Yell

I have an AT 3525 (that I like) and I was wondering if anyone who has used the 3525 and the V67 could compare the two.I know they are slightly different beasts but they both are used for vocals (and other apps).With the price of the V67 at $99 it's kinda hard to pass up but the AT is only $150.I like the 3525 and I could use a pair possibly as overheads or other stereo micing applications.With the V67 I would add another flavor which would be cool.Has anybody ever used both these mics and could give me a comparison?Harvey?

Let me clarify.I'm not asking for someone to post samples or anything,I'm just looking for impressions from anyone who has used these mics.I like the 3525 but if the Marshall sounds substantually better or even if it sounds equally good but it is a different flavor.I know the 3525 is discontinued but someone here must have tried one at some point and with the deluge of V67 users here (I guess that should tell me something) someone must have tried both (or maybe not).The AT does have a high pass filter and a pad though,although it will reputably take 146db spl without the pad.Any thoughts or opinions highly appreciated.Maybe my best option is to be patient and hook up with a SP B-3 when they hit the streets but I'm not a patient man and the V67 won't be on sale for $99 forever.

I just bought the last mxl v67m that my Mars had, and the salesman told me, he's a good friend of mine, that they don't think they will be getting anymore. I really wanted to buy two. I got the mic for $85 and the shockmount for $25 (they matched a price i saw on e-bay for the mount). It was $115 with tax, tag, and title.

Thanks for responding.I guess you snooze ya lose.They might still have some online though so I could check.When I saw the $99 tag I figured that maybe they were being discontinued.That was the deal with the 3525 I bought for $150.I thought there would be more people that used that mic.I like mine 100 times better than the Mxl2001p that I paid $200 for a couple years ago(and that was without a shockmount!).Maybe my experience with the 2001p made me slow to hop on the V67 bandwagon.I know they are entirely two different mics and that everyone who recommends the V67 also feels the same way I do about the 2001p.Maybe instead of buying the V67 I should do the 2001 mod for $40 and then be patient and try the B-3 when it rears its pretty head.

I really do like the 3525 and I was hoping other people who have used the mic would relate their experiences with it.I know it's not the forty series but I think for $150 it's a nice mic.BTW,Musician's Friend still is listing the 3525 for $299 and Mars has it for $250 while 8th Street Music still has them for $149.I guess it really pays to shop.

Just saw this, Randy. I have both. My impressions I sum up this way: I prefer the V67 for vocals most of the time, somewhat. I find more applications for the 3525. I believe strictly speaking the 3525 is a mid-diaphram.

Buy according to your needs and wallet, of course. Always cool to have a pair of anything. If your looking at price, don't forget the AT comes with the always indespensible shock mount for $150. You get the $99 V67M from Mars and a $30 shock mount from Musician's Friend and it's almost a push. HTH.
-kent

Thanks Kent,I knew someone must have tried both.Yup I think you're right about the 3525 being a med diaphrgm,it don't really matter much to me I guess.I havn't seen any information on the diaphragm size in any of the information on the 3525,a sin of omission I guess.

You prefer the V67 more often on vocals tells me it must be a good sounding mic as I think the 3525 sounds pretty good on most vocals.I'm afraid I might of missed the boat on the V67 though I think I'm still going to try and pick one up.I actually saw the sale price at Mars before I read about it in any threads but I hesitated and it's true he who hesitates is lost.If I'm too late I'll wait till SP releases the B-series and I'll try a B-3.A multi pattern would be cool I guess.Then I could give mid-side mic'ing a shot!.

Yeah, multi-patterns are handy, fo sho. I would hasten to add that whether or not you're in time for the Mars fire sale, the V67G is, IMO, still a bargain at the 8th Street price.

Having said that, I'll underline words from my previous post by saying I prefer mine to the 3525 somewhat and on most, but not all vocals.
-kent

Speaking of fire sales, Mars has also reduced the price on the MXL V-93 to $129.00. That includes the shockmount.

Randy, if I were in your position and budget is a concern, I'd just get the B3 when it
comes out as it's multi-pattern as we know how handy that can be.
BTW, I have the AT 3527 (omni) microphone that according to Sound On Sound was
rated higher than the AT3525 as far as sound quality for vocals and acoustic guitar.
If we rated my C1 as a "10", the AT3527 would do quite well at about "8" BTW.
2 rating points deducted for less of a signal to noise ratio, and the bigger sound of the
C1, even aside from the lack of shockmount on the AT3527.

Thanks for the response Chess.Yeah I think I'll hang tight and wait for the B-3.I'm going to give my 2001p the mod (when I get off my lazy ass).If I don't screw up the mod (I'm reasonably confident I can handle it,if not oh well)I will have the moded Mxl,the 3525 and if I get the B-3 that will give me three mid to large dia mics for acoustic and vocals.Besides those mics I have a pair of ECM's,a seven piece Nady drum mic set,an AKG 880 and assorted Samson and Nady dynamic mics.The drum mic set I find usable except I use the 880 on snare and the ECM's for overheads.The sd condensors that came with the drum kit I use on guitar cabs and they sound pretty good.I got the number of mics covered but now I'm upgrading as I go along.The AKG makes a pretty good snare mic and the Samson and Nady mics are better than you would expect for the chump change they cost but at least a couple of SM-57's are on my agenda.

Back