MXL v67 - how much?

Dr. Bell

I just bought a Marshall v67 (the black one) at a Sam Ash store for $79.99, which they considered a "blowout" price, but it seemed like just a regular price to me. The prices I'm finding on the web are all over the place, though, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether or not I got a good deal. Can anyone help with the real street price of this mike?

Much obliged,
DB

Dr. Bell said:
I just bought a Marshall v67 (the black one) at a Sam Ash store for $79.99, which they considered a "blowout" price, but it seemed like just a regular price to me. The prices I'm finding on the web are all over the place, though, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether or not I got a good deal. Can anyone help with the real street price of this mike?

Much obliged,
DB

My .02 based on using this mic is,,,

If the price of this mic went up to <= $200 and I didnt have mine's anymore,,, I would still buy it.

I got mine for 150, with a shockmount, clip, foam pop, and a silver case. this was about 4 months ago ( maybe )

oh,, I got the G version.

Malcolm

Dr. Bell said:

Much obliged,
DB
I’ve seen the V67Gs with shock mount going on eBay for $109. Considering the shock mount is close to $30, $79 for the mic alone is about right. I’d probably get the V67G, though. It’s purtier!:p

Yup, I just purchased one of the ones with shock mount for $109. Should be here soon. $80 is a good price.

I actually think I'd prefer black, but maybe I'll change my mind when I see the v67G in person.

$80 is a good discount price, very comparable to what you can get on ebay or from internet places with the advantage that you did not have to pay shipping and I presume that you could try it out first

$79 for the black one was their regular price.....the v67G is $99......its definitely worth what you paid for it......

now, is it a black v67 or a v67M?.....

The black one is, sure enough, the V67b. There is/was a silver or chrome one, though I have never actually seen it. Bah to paying $20 extra bucks for the green, even though it is handsome.

I've tried it out now, and yes it is pretty good on my acoustic guitar. I had been using a mxl 603 before, and the v67 seems to have a much smoother high end to it. Worth the $80 bucks for certain.

yeah, the v67b at $79 is a good price.....definitely not a "blowout" but still a good deal........

you may wanna double mic that acoustic with the v67 and the 603.....find the 2 different spots that accentuate each mics "good side" and go with those....then you can pan those out a little left and right......or cut it in 2 different takes with the 2 different mics playing different inversions.....

I just bought a 67v off Ebay for $96 with a shockmount, cable,and an adapter included. Haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

$80 seems to be average and everytime I look MXL mics seem to be dropping from the sky for almost nothing. Even if it's average price it's a great deal at that price. Even among cheap Chinese mics I think that a pretty competitive price.

I have both the V93(2003) and the V67. I don't do overhead type of recording but I think I would go from my V93s first. The V67s sound too dark and warm to me unless you're recording in a metal chamber and you really need something to warm up the sound. The V93s are very crisp and sound less colored to me. Another thing to note is that these mics have such a wide pattern they're practically omnis. I can stand directly behind the mics and record prety well with them except for the funky off axis stuff.

For overheads don't people generally prefer something with a little more directionality to the sound for panning and spacial placement?

I can't say I like bright or dark mics not having tried many mics. But the V67 compared to the V93 is dark. The V67 may very well be bright by comparison to various other mics -- I honestly can't say.

Back