MXL V63M Stereo

Mr. Moon

Force of Naked
Hi. I recently purchased an MXL V63M Stereo LDC mic as a MF stupid deal of the day for 50 bucks and was wondering if anyone around here had any experience with it they'd like to share. I bought it thinking it may be useful for drum overheads and/or acoustic guitars, but since it seems to have been discontinued, I'm thinking it's not one of the more popular/favored MXL mics out there.

Thanks!

Hi. I recently purchased an MXL V63M Stereo LDC mic as a MF stupid deal of the day for 50 bucks and was wondering if anyone around here had any experience with it they'd like to share. I bought it thinking it may be useful for drum overheads and/or acoustic guitars, but since it seems to have been discontinued, I'm thinking it's not one of the more popular/favored MXL mics out there.

Thanks!

Well some models make it and some don't.

The MXL v63m is the same as the discontinued v57m, as well as the
still available 2006. Also, the v63mbp (for "battery powered") is based
on the same circuit and capsule, with the one difference of including
an option to use an internal battery rather than "phantom power".

Many folks have used these mics with success, and have mentioned
as much on these boards and others.

My guess is that, like many businesses, MXL sees it's future in the
higher end of its line, and the budget items are being phased out,
in an effort to improve profits. Whether or not that turns out to
be "short sighted" or "visionary", time will tell.

Regardless, the v63m types has been available for quite a number
of years, and they represent a bargain, especially at the price
you paid. If you want to add a second to make a pair, either the
v63mbp, or 2006 should serve.

Or, keep your eye on Ebay. Everything shows up there eventually,
especially to those who know what they are waiting for.

If you find that your bargain mic is adequate, but wish it had a
bit more polish, there are mods you can make (if you enjoy that
sort of thing), or you can send it to an expert for some tweeks
that will make it even better.

Search these boards for more info.

HTH,
Noah F.

hey man, i got this same mic for the same stupid deal! haven't used it yet though, it's an xmas present :D did ya get the free mic stand as well?

i've been looking for info and can't find much; i even posted a topic here earlier last week with no avail really. but i'm quite excited, as it's my FIRST condenser!

Oops!

I misread the "Stereo" bit in the original post.

All of my comments apply to the Large Diameter Condenser (LDC)
capsule based mics in the v63m "family" (as well as the v57m,
and 2006).

However, the v63m Stereo mic has two Small Diameter Condenser
(SDC) capsules, set at 90 degrees to one another.

That is a different beast, and you can find general information
related to a few mono mics in a similar configurations (SDC in
a side address format) by searching for MXL 990, and MCA SP1
(also an MXL product, no idea why it reads MCA rather than MXL).

HTH,
NoahF

hey man, i got this same mic for the same stupid deal! haven't used it yet though, it's an xmas present :D did ya get the free mic stand as well?

i've been looking for info and can't find much; i even posted a topic here earlier last week with no avail really. but i'm quite excited, as it's my FIRST condenser!

I got it the day if the stupid deal, but after it had sold out, so I had to go through the microphone-only link to get it ...so, no mic stand. Which one came with it?

Oops!

I misread the "Stereo" bit in the original post.

All of my comments apply to the Large Diameter Condenser (LDC)
capsule based mics in the v63m "family" (as well as the v57m,
and 2006).

However, the v63m Stereo mic has two Small Diameter Condenser
(SDC) capsules, set at 90 degrees to one another.

That is a different beast, and you can find general information
related to a few mono mics in a similar configurations (SDC in
a side address format) by searching for MXL 990, and MCA SP1
(also an MXL product, no idea why it reads MCA rather than MXL).

HTH,
NoahF

Hee-hee ...funny, I have two of the SP1's that I purchased after reading some "40 dollar mic that kicks @ss" thread over at the SONAR forums, which I still have yet to try, of course. People were clamoring over them over there, so who knows?

Here's the thread:
$40 MIC That Kicks A$$

it came with a musicians gear fixed boom stand. actually, during the stupid deal, they didn't come with the stand...but a week later, the mic was still 50 bucks and came withn the stand lol..so i emailed them and was like, hey i ordered it a week ago, i've been a customer for like ten years...can i get this stand? lady was like, yup i just sent one out. haha

I have been using a pair of V63MBP mics for several years now and am quite happy with the results. I use them for vocals, drum over heads, guitar and bass amps. Other uses have been mic'ing piano and piano forte for a classical recording, hand percussion, horns, woodwinds, string quartet and even for a bass clarinet. A lot has to do with proper placement but they are not nearly as tempermantal as many other mics.

it came with a musicians gear fixed boom stand. actually, during the stupid deal, they didn't come with the stand...but a week later, the mic was still 50 bucks and came withn the stand lol..so i emailed them and was like, hey i ordered it a week ago, i've been a customer for like ten years...can i get this stand? lady was like, yup i just sent one out. haha

I emailed them today about it and I now have a stand on the way. What I'm going to do with another frikkin' boom stand is beyond me, but for free, what the hey!

I think this was listed as a stereo LDC, but I figured it would be SDC....Ill bet its 2 of the same capsuls as the 990 and the 603's...Got mine today as a Christmas gift...may be a week or so till I get to try it....I was only interrested because it was stereo and Iv never played with one of those...

i checked mine out today, and noticed it sounds pretty damn cool. the phantom power really makes this mic so much louder than my dynamic sm57 and e609! i also notice that when i used the 57 and 609 together, they never went out of phase....but if i add in the condenser to either 1 of them, or both, it goes out of phase. good thing i've got a lil art MP tube preamp with a phase switching button on it! i'll have to check it out. but it sounded really cool adding that to the 57 on the marshall, really gave it a nice crunchy tone :D

Back