MXL or Behringer?

msblaze

I'm am going to buy some overheads for my drums and i am looking at ether the Behringer C-2's or a pair of MXL 1006's what would be the best sound?? I play and record punk/emo/screamo type music btw.

from what I've heard, Berhinger sucks and MXL makes great stuff for a very decent price. People seem pretty crazy about the v69 and 67 and stuff. Beringer altogether seems to have a pretty bad wrap. It seems like all their stuff is cheap, and to get a good product you have to spend like 800 bucks like those Truth monitors.

Chinese mics are more or less the same, there are some 4-5 factorys
making these and then some who don`t OEM but for the price they are OK.
Both B. and MXL are made in China with some exeptions, just open and watch.
Matti

Grab the MXL 603s pack for about 200 bucks. Many "big" studios have them (and use them) in their arsenal.
what's your limit?

Don't forget the Joe Meek JM27's theres a guy on ebay selling them for $99 a pair they come from a legit music store too. (otto music) I ordered them from Australia and the service was great. I love these mics I have nothing to compare them to but I heard great things and now I can say the same thing.

(Mabie I should be getting royalties from JM becuase I'm always preaching the 27's :D )

msblaze said:
I'm am going to buy some overheads for my drums and i am looking at ether the Behringer C-2's or a pair of MXL 1006's what would be the best sound?? I play and record punk/emo/screamo type music btw.
I think most people around here prefer MXL to Behringer.

One exception may be the Behringer ECM8000's. They are popular on overheads. The MXL 603's are very versatile, too. I got the $90 Joemeek JM27 pair from Otto as well. Great bang for the buck. I'm extremely happy. :)

MXL 603's. The c2 aint good at all. But the 603's are pretty good and very versatile for other stuff. I use them on acoustic guitars, overheads, percusion and many other applications. They are very bright and work well with alot of stuff.

Since I support communism, I choose Behringer. :D
Seriously, I will approach it from a price point angle. The less you spend, the better the MXLs stack up IMHO. The more you spend (around 200 and up) the more behringers sound better than MXL to me. Just me 2 lincolns

djhead said:
Since I support communism, I choose Behringer. :D
Seriously, I will approach it from a price point angle. The less you spend, the better the MXLs stack up IMHO. The more you spend (around 200 and up) the more behringers sound better than MXL to me. Just me 2 lincolns

This has nothin to do with price, i dont knock behringer for their price, i have both mics along with many other "high end" Mics. For me the MXLs 603s stand up to many small condensers. The Behringer's sure are cheap, but then so are the MXL. In my opinion the MXL's are a far better mic, and sound alot better to boot. Now if you want other small condensers, The joe meeks are definetly worth a look into, as are Octava mc012's. But as for the two mics you mentioned the Behringer would be better for overheads, but if you got a pair of MXL 603's instead of the 1006 then it would make a hell of a difference.

Another vote for the Joe Meeks...................
Matched and with shockmounts for less than $100 for the set.
You cant go wrong.

there are dogs in the MXL line of mics too--don't think that just b/c it says "MXL" that it's a good mic or even a bargain.

But some of the MXL mics play "above their head" in terms of what you get versus what you pay for. The 603 is one of those mics, as is the V77.

the 603 has a bit of a bump in the high-end, which can lead to "not so good sounds" when used on cheap cymbals, in a bad sounding room, or with a drummer who punishes the cymbals.

the mc012 is a "darker' mic, and often works better in "less than ideal" circumstances.

either way, i'd stick to the "proven winners" from the MXL line.

cheers,
wade

Back