MXL mics

howlin'dog

Has anyone had any experience with the MXL mics from Marshall electronics in California.

I have used both thier 2003 and 1006 condenser studio mics (a friend has them) and was wondering if there was any other opinions on them.

We did have a couple quit but think it was do do inadiquit phantom power.

Howlin' Dog

uh oh - not the "do do phantom" :eek:

Spooky...

Seriously... on MXL
The V67 (large diaphragm) and 603S (small diaphragm) are given good "bang for buck" ratings around here. The 2001 gets the thumbs down (unless you do the TapeOp Royer tube mod:D). I haven't heard anything about the models you mentioned.

Queue

I enjoy my MXL 2003 -- I bought this old ass acoustic guitar at a garage sale for $6.00 last weekend. The strings on it had to be 10 years old. It has that sittin on a porch in the Mississippi Delta sound.....anyway, the 2003 captured every scratch, twang, knock unbelievably. -- I am starting to find out more and more that certain mics do certain things very well. I'm evolving

During our 1st Annual HomeRecording.Com Convention back in July, we mic'd 5 acoustic guitarists with an Octava,an AT4033
and the 1006, outdoors. I had the mic's positioned in triangular fashion with the 5 git'ists inside the "TRIANGLE" I recorded the 1006 on track 1,the AT4033 on track 2 and the Ocktava on track 3. (our own little version of a mic shoot-out)
As every-1 who was there can attest, the 1006 held it's own against the other mics in acoustic and vocal recording with a flat bottom and a slight hi coloring in the mid to hi freq range.
The 1006 is a decent mic for SIMPLE applications!

First off, Thanks for the responce. I hope to learn to spell in the near future.. :)

I am happy to hear the good news about these Mics. Is there a big diffrence between the two mics i mentioned. they are priced at $250 (2003) and $300 (1006) (Canadian $$$) at a local store.

The specs didn't show much diffrence at all...at least none i could see.

Howlin' Dog

I love my v67 and Im gonna love my pair of 603's whenever my cheapskate ass decides to let go of the $$$.....

MISTERQCUE (and everyone) thanks for the info on the 1006 as it's incredibly inexpensive I am seriously considering picking on up.

Can you explain what you mean by "Simple" in this sentence though:
"The 1006 is a decent mic for SIMPLE applications!"

That's got me worried a bit ;)

Thanks.
C

My guess is that the Marshall MXL 2003 could be fine on kick
drum - I mean if you would like to try the two microphone
techniqe with a dynamic mic inside the bass drum and a con-
denser outside/in front of the drum.
The 2003 mic has a preattenuation Switch: 0/-10dB and could be fine for this use.
Ola
Norway

Back