MXL 990s

smallhands

Does anyone own or use a MXL 990s? My band mate just bought one and raves about the sound quality and that it is a condenser mic, but I'm not that impressed. Anyway, I was just hoping to get some feedback on the best applications and setups that this particular mic can be used for.

search

the 990 has been discussed quite a bit on this board. I'm sure a search will answer your questions.
My personal experience is that it is an inexpensive condenser that has some uses but it isn't "best" on anything.

I have 1. used it quite a bit. then someone told me that they wernt that great. Ive never had any problems with it. but Im now using my AT2020 & am noticin a difference already. so..

To me they're kind of like the K-mart brand of SDC's. They work, but that's about it. You can get by with a set of them but you'll probably outgrow them soon. Worth a test run though.

Hope that helps
-Barrett

They work for certain things. If you need something to get a lot brighter, that's the mic.... :)

I have 1. used it quite a bit. then someone told me that they wernt that great. Ive never had any problems with it. but Im now using my AT2020 & am noticin a difference already. so..
how's that AT2020 sounding, because Im might trade my MXL in for a AT mic. I heard the vocals are W A R M E R, and more in your face.

For the price, it's a decent starter mic. It's nothing special but it can take a beating and still deliver a basic useable sound.

If I'm not mistaken the AT2020 is a SDC and the 990 is a LCD?

I have a 990 and it's usable out of the box but a few simple mods really improve it quite a bit. I'll use it as a room mic when recording guitar cabs or even on my vocals sometimes. I have nicer mics but the 990 gets some decent use.

I always recommend them because they are cheap and good to start out with, eventually as you improve you mic collection they will see less use but you'll still find some uses for them.

I think the 990 would count as a SDC - it's got the same capsule as the 991 (and presumably the 603), but in a LDC-looking package

I think the 990 would count as a SDC - it's got the same capsule as the 991 (and presumably the 603), but in a LDC-looking package

I thought the 2020 was a LDC for quite a while because of it's looks. :(

I know the guts are the same for the 603/990 since I did the exact same mod on my 603s and my 990. I thought that the capsule looked a lot larger in the 990 though, might just be a perspective thing.

Edit: Did a quick specs check and it looks like the capsule is the same size. They sound pretty different..........goes to show ya how important grill and body style can be.

yeah - it's almost worth getting the 990/991 kit just for educational purposes. I think even the circuit is the same or very similar, but the mics behave very differently.

I did use my kit for educational purposes, but it was to learn how to solder, rather than to learn about mics. Both of mine sound the same now :o (and by that I mean they *don't* :D )

yeah - it's almost worth getting the 990/991 kit just for educational purposes. I think even the circuit is the same or very similar, but the mics behave very differently.

I did use my kit for educational purposes, but it was to learn how to solder, rather than to learn about mics. Both of mine sound the same now :o (and by that I mean they *don't* :D )

That 991 is badass on snare.

Back