Mxl 990

hrwmusic

Your mo-o-ovin' so fast..
basically my friend is looking for the best quality mic he can find, and found this one. Im not too familiar with it. I own the mxl v67g and love it. He is planning to use this for guitar (acoustic) and vocals. Does anyone have a word of advice that i can give him...? Is there a beter choice out there? should he save up 30 more?

what do you think?

Thunder33 said:
that is far from the best mic you could find. It is pretty good for it's price range though.

hes pretty cheep, but im trying to get him to push his budget to 100$ and that would be the limit.

do you know of any beter alternatives though?

hrwmusic said:
hes pretty cheep, but im trying to get him to push his budget to 100$ and that would be the limit.

do you know of any beter alternatives though?

it is subjective. What I think is good, others laugh at and vice versa. The 990 will not be horrible. But something like the MXL V63M would be a little better.

The AKG Perception stuff is not bad for that range. If he could get around the $200 range, the AKC C2000 is going to be a world of difference over the 990.

If it's small condensers you're looking for there's a guy on ebay who's selling 2x Jm27 (Joe meek 27's) I bought these off ebay from him I've got no complaintS about them.

If you do a search on ebay you'll find them.

i use a mxl 990 for rap vocals and I havent had a problem with it, the only thing i noticed is it sensitive to highs, i just cut the highs slightly and that seems to do it, i think its descent for the money, i only owened it for a few months so i cant say much about how reliable it is.when i ask around about it , it was recommended more for instruments then vocals. i have a rought draft recording no mixing done with it on www.soundclick.com/dirty pockets, check that out and hear for yourself

Back