[MXL 990 + Steinberg CI1] A few problems.

Maksym

Hello everyone. This is my first post here so I'd like you to welcome me here. Hopefully I'll get the answers I need :)

So I've got 2 pieces of hardware, one is Steinberg CI1 audio interface and the other one is MXL 990 mic. I'm pretty sure the audio interface works correctly so I'll just head straight to the mic problem.

I'm testing the setup in Audacity.

Now when I select Microphone (High Definition Audio), I get a stereo track, but the microphone buzzes and my voice is distant/disorted as you can hear over here:

Vocaroo | Voice message

Then, once I choose Line (Steinberg CI1), I get a single track that plays in only one headphone but the record quality is way better. The voice is close and i can't hear any buzz. Hear for yourself:

Vocaroo | Voice message

I've tried pretty much anything from my arsenal of possible solutions (which is pretty narrow in fact). I hope you can help me solve this problem or give me some hints where to try and do something.

Regards
Maksym

Hello again. I've found this post about MXL990 being a mono mic:

Lt. Bob

the 990 is a mono mic and has nothing to do with whether you get sound out of one side or the other.
Since it's a mono mic ...... there is no value in recording it to stereo even if you could.
Just record it as a mono track and at mixdown, you can pan it where you like.
Vocals usually go dead center anyway which makes them mono.

I guess this solves my problem.

How many newbies like me have answered their own questions? :)

I'm heading to my DAW and I'll update.

EDIT: Works.

Sorry for the spam. This might be helpful for some users that struggle with the same issue with their mono mics.

Back