MXL 990 - crap or ok for a noob?

Hey...if that's all you can afford, it's usable...just don't be expecting super sound quality...and it also matters what preamp you are plugging into.
It can work OK for some types of stuff, but may show it's weaknesses with greater expectations and demands.

The 990 is not very good for vocals. It works ok as an overhead or on an electric guitar amp. The Shure SM58 is the best mic to get when you first start recording.

I'm more in the Miroslav camp. The 990 isn't a great mic but it's usable for the money it costs. Despite being a condenser, it lacks some of the crispness and clarity of more expensive ones. However, until you have something better to compare it to, it'll probably sound okay. Of course the other thing to consider is the voice it'll be recording!

I'm going to disagree with the advice to buy an SM58. Unless you can also use it for live work, it's rarely the best choice. It's output is pretty low (much lower than the 990) so it'll show up noise and flaws in the mic pre amp pretty fast (and, if the OP is considering an MXL990 I think we have to assume it'll also be an entry level interface/pre). It's also a 45 year old design that somehow manages to combine a lack of clarity in the lower mids with harshness in the upper mids. Yeah, it's extremely common in the live industry but that's more because it's tough as old nails for the rigours of touring and it's also a known quantity than every engineer knows how to EQ.

Put it this way: I own several that come out for live use when somebody asks for one. However, I've never found a good use in the studio other than as my talkback mic.

The Shure SM58 is the best mic to get when you first start recording.

I dont own the 990 so i couldnt comment but if i was to go the dynamic route i'd get a 57 rather than a 58. It's much more of an all rounder. Not that i'm reccomending a 57. I just like it better on my voice than a 58 in a recording situation.

I think I'm with Bobbsy, mostly. My spin on it is this- First, there are better entry level condensers than the 990, especially for vocals. I like this:

Marshall Electronics MXL V67G | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Most Orders Ship Free!

Regarding dynamic mics, condensers and dynamics are like the yin and yang of microphones. They are different tools, like hacksaws and screwdrivers, and learning to use them both is the beginning of being a tracking engineer. Unlike many people, I am not particularly impressed by Shure SM57, even at its price point. It's a perfectly good stage mic, amp and snare mic, but there are lots of others. Where lots of people use a 57, I'm more likely to use the discontinued AKG D770, or Sennheiser e835. If you do buy a condenser, what the hell? Spend an extra $25 and get one of these:

Behringer XM8500A | 8thstreet.com | Call 1-800-878-8882 | Most Orders Ship Free!

You'll be shocked at how much it does *not* suck, and will give you the opportunity to learn to use dynamics without spending a lot of money. In my opinion, the 57 is overrated. It became a standard in the 60's in the U.S., while Europeans were using Austrian and German made mics because they were cheaper in Europe. Many great European dynamics were simply overlooked here. Get on ebay and find a D770. It will not disappoint.

You are right about one thing. That deal for the 2 MXL mics for cheap has been out there for *years* now, which tells you 2 things. One- they made too many of them, and Two- nobody is very impressed, and they can't even give them away. Good luck.

Back