MXL 990&991, FirePod vs. 8pre

iancl

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a bunch of gear from the US, and noticed musiciansfriend has package deals on the firepod with these mics.
Here are the two links:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Firepod-Studio-Package?sku=247107
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREPOD-Recording-Bundle?sku=241481

I know nothing about the quality of these mics. At the moment the only condensers I have are a pair of JTS NX-9's. I'm thinking for vocals and a bunch of other things, these mics may well come in handy. And anything I decide I don't need, I can probably sell for a lot more over here in Aus. But how good are these? I know very little about MXL. Are they fantastic? Are they shit? Are they average? Do most people agree on how good they are?

I also need a pair of monitors, and I'm sure on my level these ones would be fine, unless they are REALLY terrible, but I expect they are of reasonable quality?

I don't NEED mic stands and leads, but I wouldn't complain about having a few spare! Especially if it comes to tracking drums and other instruments together (I just use my drum recording gear to record everything else usually). I also have fine headphones, but a second pair would be handy. - I'm not fussed about any of these items though.

Also, why the price difference between the two packages? One has four mic leads and one has two? That CAN'T be it, what did I miss? And also, the $799 package retails for $3200 and the $899 package retails for $1600?

My main question though, is about the FirePod and the Motu 8pre:
I've seen (and asked about) these in plenty of threads, but has anyone seen any 1 on 1 comparisons/reviews?
Also, I know it's stupid but the FirePod, I feel, has lost its glory by being so commonly used! I know it's great, and brilliant value, but it doesn't seem like something nice unique and refreshing.
But yeah, any comparisons and general comments between the two would be great. I'm leaning towards the 8pre for expandability options - I've heard it's a lot easier to add onto.

Thanks a lot for any responses on the mics / monitors / pres.

EDIT: Just found the "Firepod of MOTU 8pre" thread, I'll look into that. Still interested in the other parts though!

Last edited:
I got the MXL 990 about 2 years ago and can't stress its value for money enough. Although I've not had much experience with other values of similar value - I've been very pleased with the results. I'm also very tempted to buy a second so I have a stereo pair.

So far I've only really used it for recording vocals. I use a pop-shield and sometimes sing right up against it for a real intimate sound.

My only gripes with it are that it will only work with one or two of my cables! (I have about two dozen), which is a bit annoying, but not something I can't work around. I am usually pretty careful with my stuff so not so sure on how durable it is, but I assume it'd be quite good.

The only other things I would like to have seen on it (although it'd then be more expensive) would be a pad, and an LF roll off. It's of note that the frequency response is a bit high in the low end - so I almost always use an LF roll off on the desk/in nuendo. Not had much trouble with the head amplifier clipping though, mind you.

It also comes with a shockmount, a swivel mount and a case. I think the shockmount is fantastic - especially on a mic of this cost.

If you have any specific questions - just ask me. If I remember (and can find the login details for my server!) I'll stick a link to some tracks with vocals I've recorded on. Hope that's helped!

you just have to use a mic for the right application

i don't do any yelling or huge belting out, so it works for vocals for me. it can distort if you do, even if you don't clip the preamp, you can clip the mic.

i've used it on violin, cello, piano, acoustic guitar and lots of things. with the right position and right eq it can come out decent.

it's not really a great room mic, but if you don't have a good room, who cares. i have used it in a reverb chamberish manner...and it worked well for that.

its good for the money....but it needs a little eq-ing at times. just get a large q, boost it, and sweep the thing...you'll find some accentuated frequencies, and just cut them. the result will be quite useable.

but...there's definitely better mics out there for more money.

Back