MXL 960, now with Peluso capsule

Pylet is clearly more confident with a soldering iron that I am. Rather than soldering directly to the PC board, I opted to cut the wires from the original capsule, and then solder the wires fo the two capsule together at a splice. This gave me a lot more room for error with the tiny guage wire.

I couldn't find my wire stripper (still can't... grrr), and had to shave the wires down with a razor blade. It was a bit tricky, especially since I don't see as well as I did a decade or so ago (ahem!). But, I managed. When I finished, there was actually a fair bit of extra wire, which I simply taped down at the base of the capsule. Not the most artistic solution, perhaps, but it worked.

I've had a cold, so I haven't been able to play with the mic much, but what I have done has convinced me that this was a VERY worthwhile mod.

Struggling to find ay7

Yeah, I used the single sided CEK-89. 100% drop in replacement, as long as you can solder some very thin wires (about 28 gauge).

Definately the best $120 'addition' to my limited mic collection, I don't think $120 (above the sunk cost of the 960 itself) would have given me anything near as cool.

If your opening the mic to do this, look around for some old 12AY7's or 12AT7's. I know for sure you can find a Mullard 12AT7 for $30, great sounding tube that makes a very noticable difference as well on the 960. The stock tube is pretty well rubbish.

I am new to tubes. I have found some 12ay7's but don't know how to judge the quality. What am I looking for in a tube of this kind? What brand is good?

Also, the AT7's are easier to find, but confusing also. This is a really stupid question, but is "Mullard" a brand or what? On some web sites there is a brand, then Mullard seems to be a type.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Mullard is a brand of tubes made in Britain. Not a type.

This is important to know: All tubes sound different! Even tubes of the same batch from the same brand! You have to use your ear to find a good one. It should not produce significant levels of self noise and should not produce any harsh artifacts, especially in the high end.

Just buying an NOS tube is not enough. You have to personally audition each to get the right one. Even some Chinese tubes can be good so long as you find one that sounds good. There's a big misconception that all Chinese tubes are bad.

Mullard is a brand of tubes made in Britain. Not a type.

This is important to know: All tubes sound different! Even tubes of the same batch from the same brand! You have to use your ear to find a good one. It should not produce significant levels of self noise and should not produce any harsh artifacts, especially in the high end.

Just buying an NOS tube is not enough. You have to personally audition each to get the right one. Even some Chinese tubes can be good so long as you find one that sounds good. There's a big misconception that all Chinese tubes are bad.

Thanks for the quick response, philgood.

t

Just a follow up on my intended mods, the only thing my 960 contributes now is just a chassis, body, and a power supply. I used a Jensen paper in oil capacitor, a Cinemag transformer, a GE 6072, and a few various resistors to make the mic. It's a loose interpretation of a U47, and it sounds really good! It took me a little bit to get the resistor values about right, I got it close enough to call it good. Vocals are much richer than they were with the stock 960 circuit, and somehow with the same Peluso capsule as before the detail is much more startling. There is a very large difference between the transformer and non transformer based version of this mic!

The mod is not for the faint of heart, the parts are gigantic and the mic innards are very compact. Fortunately, there are few parts, but they are bulky and hard to get positioned such that the case can still slide on. If anybody wants to do this and has the requisite skills, time, and patience, I'll be glad to share my work details with you!

Hopefully some you will be as excited as I am when you learn OktavaMod will soon use Peluso capsules and transformers to augment my electronic modifications to Chinese microphones.

Tests are under way on the full line of John's capsules and transformers. I gotta say his re-creation of the BV8 - the "iconic" transformer pioneered in the U 47 is absolutely righteous. Powerful and punchy with deep dimensionality, gobs of headroom and best of all when used in a Chinese mic - reduces the hash / grit and spittyness so common in these mics. John told me it was a two-year odyssey to get his BV8HR right - including having a custom alloy blend made for the lamination metal.

Some of you know I used to work for and studied under the late Dave Blackmer, the founder of dbx Inc. and Earthworks Microphones for almost 15 years. Dave was a monster of his craft. As I've gotten to know John Peluso a bit better I can tell you there are still microphone giants among us.

Soon I'll have a suite of modifications for some of the "best prospect" Chinese mics. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Just a follow up on my intended mods, the only thing my 960 contributes now is just a chassis, body, and a power supply. I used a Jensen paper in oil capacitor, a Cinemag transformer, a GE 6072, and a few various resistors to make the mic. It's a loose interpretation of a U47, and it sounds really good! It took me a little bit to get the resistor values about right, I got it close enough to call it good. Vocals are much richer than they were with the stock 960 circuit, and somehow with the same Peluso capsule as before the detail is much more startling. There is a very large difference between the transformer and non transformer based version of this mic!

The mod is not for the faint of heart, the parts are gigantic and the mic innards are very compact. Fortunately, there are few parts, but they are bulky and hard to get positioned such that the case can still slide on. If anybody wants to do this and has the requisite skills, time, and patience, I'll be glad to share my work details with you!

I didn't mod my 960 as "deeply," but I did complete the installation of the Peluso capsule and a GE 6072. The mic is much better. I am hearing comments from those who have heard it, that it does indeed have cleaner highs and lows and not so much mid. The one mix in which I have used it, the mod 960 brings the vocal out nicely. I realize I am using very subjective terms, but the bottom line is that I like it a lot.

t

Hopefully some you will be as excited as I am when you learn OktavaMod will soon use Peluso capsules and transformers to augment my electronic modifications to Chinese microphones.

Tests are under way on the full line of John's capsules and transformers. I gotta say his re-creation of the BV8 - the "iconic" transformer pioneered in the U 47 is absolutely righteous. Powerful and punchy with deep dimensionality, gobs of headroom and best of all when used in a Chinese mic - reduces the hash / grit and spittyness so common in these mics. John told me it was a two-year odyssey to get his BV8HR right - including having a custom alloy blend made for the lamination metal.

Some of you know I used to work for and studied under the late Dave Blackmer, the founder of dbx Inc. and Earthworks Microphones for almost 15 years. Dave was a monster of his craft. As I've gotten to know John Peluso a bit better I can tell you there are still microphone giants among us.

Soon I'll have a suite of modifications for some of the "best prospect" Chinese mics. Stay tuned.

holy crap-- it's all over. :D

What tubes are you planning on using? There are only a few out there that match the BV8's impedance and none that I know of are being used by Chinese manufacturers.

My focus initially will be on FET mics. I've done an extensive study of those to find the best-value prospects. Some need a transformer or capsule upgrade only (plus electronics upgrades), some need both. Peluso transformers have multiple windings and can be configured for several ratios to best match the source circuit.

Re: Tube mics - I don't know yet. The Apex 460 is such a popular and well-documented DIY project that I can't really add any value there. I have my eyes on a few other models but have done the experiments yet.

I may change my mind in the future, but at present I believe FET mics offer the greatest sonic return per investment dollar, pound or euro.

If that transformer could be brought down to a 2:1 it would be killer in a lot of Chinese FET mics. I've got a lot of projects going on right now, but my next test is to try an Edcor 2:1 in some FET mics and upgrade the signal path. I tried them in some tube mics I am building and the results were very favorable. They are currently the only transformer manufacturer I can find that makes a 2:1. They have several sizes and the smaller ones work, although you have to ditch the MU metal can.

I've also established my own contact for some really good capsules at a decent price. I want to have a few multi-pattern FET mics available for when I don't feel like wiring up a tube mic, or need more than one out at a time.

If that transformer could be brought down to a 2:1 it would be killer in a lot of Chinese FET mics. I've got a lot of projects going on right now, but my next test is to try an Edcor 2:1 in some FET mics and upgrade the signal path. I tried them in some tube mics I am building and the results were very favorable. They are currently the only transformer manufacturer I can find that makes a 2:1. They have several sizes and the smaller ones work, although you have to ditch the MU metal can.

Hey Phil, I have a CNC winding machinery and make all the x-formers (including multi-chamber BV8 on original size core, from original blueprints) myself. I can make it with any ratio and specs you need, in any quantities, and on any EI, UI, or L core size you'd like... just let me know.

Re: BV8. I believe it is WAY oversize and overkill for use in FET microphones. It was designed for a huge voltage swing and headroom of VF14, which FETs cannot even remotely give. Friend of mine has a good expression--"you need to wake up the core". For the lower coltage swing of the FET based mics the core size of BV8 is just too big.
The fact, George Neumann had in his disposal BV8, but went to troubles of designing completely different x-former for U87 already speaks for itself.
IMO, it is a waste.

Best, M

Peluso has a line of five different transformers, two "BV8-style" units each with different core sizes and three others with smaller cores and a range of turn ratios. The line is broad enough to allow selection of the most appropriate transformer for a wide variety of FET and tube mics.

Last edited:
Peluso has a line of five different transformers, two "BV8-style" units each with different core sizes...

There is only one "BV8-style" transformer--the one of ORIGINAL core size and FOUR-CHAMBERED. Anything else is a marketing trick to cheat unaware customer. Hopefully, it is not your intention.

Best, M

There is only one "BV8-style" transformer--the one of ORIGINAL core size and FOUR-CHAMBERED. Anything else is a marketing trick to cheat unaware customer. Hopefully, it is not your intention.

Best, M

I don't mean to be argumentative at all, but the original long body U47 had a transformer with a larger footprint that the one in the short body U47. Both were referred to as BV8.

And as much as I respect your attention to detail and truth Mark, you're pulling a bit of a Klaus Heyne here. Michael and John P have both indicated that they are of BV8 "style" and have never implied they are an exact replacement as a BV8. Even Oliver Archut needed to have words with Klause because he feels his BV8 is as close as humanly possible to reproducing it. I believe in the end he conceded that it was not a direct replacement.

Hey Phil, I have a CNC winding machinery and make all the x-formers (including multi-chamber BV8 on original size core, from original blueprints) myself. I can make it with any ratio and specs you need, in any quantities, and on any EI, UI, or L core size you'd like... just let me know.

Re: BV8. I believe it is WAY oversize and overkill for use in FET microphones. It was designed for a huge voltage swing and headroom of VF14, which FETs cannot even remotely give. Friend of mine has a good expression--"you need to wake up the core". For the lower coltage swing of the FET based mics the core size of BV8 is just too big.
The fact, George Neumann had in his disposal BV8, but went to troubles of designing completely different x-former for U87 already speaks for itself.
IMO, it is a waste.

Best, M

Still, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!:)

I don't mean to be argumentative at all...

Why not?? As they say, the truth gets born in arguments and as microphones for me are a science I don't mind at all to argue for sake of truth, both technical and historical.

but the original long body U47 had a transformer with a larger footprint that the one in the short body U47. Both were referred to as BV8. And as much as I respect your attention to detail and truth Mark, you're pulling a bit of a Klaus Heyne here. Michael and John P have both indicated that they are of BV8 "style" and have never implied they are an exact replacement as a BV8. Even Oliver Archut needed to have words with Klause because he feels his BV8 is as close as humanly possible to reproducing it. I believe in the end he conceded that it was not a direct replacement.

You have some good points here... but first, on the market there are two kinds of microphones--first, original ones, and second, those which tied to existing "classics". Here we can find anything and everything--from assigning "familiar" numbers, to calling them "inspired by x", "of x style", etc.
Each kind is needed on the market, and by no means I say the "inspired by" are inferior. There is however, always a point where something essential has to be captured and defined when something can be called "inspired", or of certain "style". Whithout clear definition the "inspired", or "style" turn into whether marketing BS, or misleading trick. For example, a "U47-inspired" mic with K67 style capsule and 12AX7 tube is absurd. The "CK12 style" capsule with K87 style backplates is absurd. The "KM84-clone" mic with transformerless circuit is absurd. And all of these (at least in my book) are tricks to mislead unaware customers, to make the consumers believe the products are something what they are actually not, and where the association with "familar" things make the product to look more important and of quality.

Getting back to the iriginal BV8, it went through many incarnations (well documented by Oliver, BTW), but that "essential" of the "classic" BV8 is the 4 chambered dual bobbin construction, besides obvious sonic signature. I'd gladly agree that indeed, the footprint can be different, but if we are talking about "BV8-style"then if it is not a 4-chambered dual bobbin then the core of the "style" is lost and to talk about them as being of "BV8 style" is misleading. In this case ANY two bobbin transformer could be called "BV8 style", which is absurd.

But guess what, there are a few vendors to distribute dual bobbin tranformers and market them as "BV8 style". Sure enough, the winding not even interleaved, let alone not chambered, the lamination is of cheap alloy... the same as found in TNC6802, and you bet--they sound crap.

Look at their prices. Do you really believe you could get a good multi-chambered dual bobbin on a good lamination anywhere close to $50-$100? Have you ever wondered how much custom alloy lamination would cost alone? And I am not even talking about direct replacement, but just about "style".

I wish there were laws for protecting consumers and customers from marketing misleading tricks. But maybe that's only me... In any case I realize I might be in minority, as nobody ever seem to listen to what I say.

[:end of rant:] :D

Best, M

I wish there were laws for protecting consumers and customers from marketing misleading tricks. But maybe that's only me... In any case I realize I might be in minority, as nobody ever seem to listen to what I say.

[:end of rant:] :D

Best, M

Well, I for one take your word as gold!:D

Back