mxl 603s are on their way (and an u89 or u47 on loan)

Jonkan

Just ordered my mxl 603s!
theyre damn expensive here in sweden, even with a 25% discount they cost about 130$ (170$ to all the other poor souls who doesnt have some good friends and connections like I) :(
I sure hope they´re worth it.

Next up is a better LD condenser. I get pretty damn good results with my old agk c3000 though!
You can hear a clip for some time (ill try and keep my ftp up)@

I was also given the opportunity to borrow either an neumann u89 or an u47 to record this voice. Which one do u think will work best for his voice, its for our upcoming ep/album. :)

/jonas

Can't access the ftp at present so I can't comment on your vocalist's pipes...but in general U47's have a pronounced high-end 'sheen' that sounds good on some singers, but if a singer's voice has an 'edge' of any kind a U47 is likely to accentuate it. This can, however, be a good thing, depending on the genre of music and the song. I did BG vox with a '47, and found I got the best tone out of me standing 45 degrees off-axis so the capsule wasn't looking down my throat, and I worked in close while staying off-axis to get some prox happening.

The U89 has a slightly smaller capsule than the 47, 67, and 87 have. The response is fairly flat. Also, the U47 has a pronounced proximity effect - you can get a 'big' sound by working the mic close (use a good pop-screen). The U89 has very little proximity effect, and has a fairly flat response. I've used its transformerless cousin the TLM-170 (same capsule) quite a bit. I like it on my voice, but it can sound boring on other voices.

And congrats on the 603's...they're just lovely little mikes.

TP

Back