MXL 603 vs. Rode NT5

dmc777

Just wondering if any of you guys has had experience with both of these mics. Primarily for an acoustic guitar with a DMP3 pre. Guitars are a Martin D15 all mahogany, and a Seagull Performer Spruce Top and Cherrywood back. Does Rode sound a lot better? I've still found my 603s to sound thin and slightly brittle.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply Blue. Anyone else? All info will be appreciated.

dmc777 said:
Just wondering if any of you guys has had experience with both of these mics. Primarily for an acoustic guitar with a DMP3 pre. Guitars are a Martin D15 all mahogany, and a Seagull Performer Spruce Top and Cherrywood back. Does Rode sound a lot better? I've still found my 603s to sound thin and slightly brittle.

I use the DMP3 with the 603s and it is neither thin nor brittle on acou guit in my experience. I think you should work on your mic positioning before buying any new mics.

dmc777 said:

Post a sample of something that you think is 'thin' and 'brittle'.

cello_pudding said:
dark guitar with a bright mic is a no go? hmm.

Yes, that was my thinking as well. I have used the 603s on both a Webber Rosewood-Cedar OM and a Larrivee Mahogany-cedar D-05 dread and got what I felt were excellent results. Regardless of mic position I usually had to cut some lows when recording the D-05.

I'm a 603 fan, I recently picked up some omni-capsules for them and I tell ya, nice change. Say bye bye to proximity boom when working really close.

Like some of the others have said, I don't find them thin or brittle either. I suppose some of that could have to do with placement and the instrument's sound.

dmc777 said:

I usually try the 603s on acoustic guitar before anything else, and its very rare for them to be switched out.

Anywho, I would definitley compare the two myself before dropping the money for the rodes. Guitar Center should have some nt5's readily available I would think...

Is the 603 a completely different mic than the 603 M?
I was thinking the only difference was the wire used.

I have a 603 M and I don't see anything brittle in this mic.
It's the only MXL I have and if anything I find it a little to full
for an acoustic.

So I'm wondering if we are talking about the same mic or not.

Never mind I just remembered the one I have is a 63M or V63M
more like the MXL2001. I see you guys are talking about pencil
mics. My bad.

Blue Groove said:
It's a hollow sounding guitar, not alot of low mids....

Maybe you are right--that the 603s just isn't a good match for an all mahogany guit. If the guit is that hard to please, though, I'd consider going to some store where I could try a few different mics before buying--or use a different guit for recording.

Back