MXL 603, Oktava MC 012, or Rode NT3?

GoneinUS

I am looking to buy a pair of small condenser mics for drum overheads and other various micing options (such as acoustic guitar). I am looking at:

MXL 603
Oktava MC 012
Rode NT3

I am just wondering what people think of these mics. I have heard good things about the 603's, but have also heard they can be a little hot around cymbals. I have heard good things about 012's, but have heard their quality control is not so good. I haven't heard as much about the NT3's. Currently I am leaning towards the 603's or the 012's. I read the previous posts regarding the RT3's, the 603's, and the 4041's (don't want to spend that much), but didn't heard much about the 012's.

I currently have a AT 4050 as my large condenser (and may be looking for a different one to add as well). I am just wondering what people think from their experience.

Thanks.

You could try doing a keyword search. The mc012s and 603's have been pretty heavily discussed. They're both outstanding values. Major differences are:

*Pronounced presence / treble boost with the 603s. Outstanding when paired with older, dull / dark sounding cymbals. Also great for a duller or boomier sounding accoustic guitar that needs more detail/articulation. Sometimes not a good thing on overly-bright sources like certain cymbals, brighter guitars, etc. Can be harsh in those instances.

*Somewhat tighter cardiod pattern on the MC012; greater versatility due to switchable capsules (with different pickup patterns). More neutral sound.

*CAD M-179 would be somewhat similar to your AT-4050 with a slightly less smooth and transparent sound and more extended bass response.

Haven't used the NT3's so can't comment on them. Some other dude recently started a thread wondering why they even existed. :D Doesn't sound like a vote of confidence.

Thanks chess. Yeah, I have been doing some searching and found a lot, but still don't know which way to go (guess I was just looking for the smoking gun somewhere). The drums are going to be recorded in a rather small room. Some of my cymbals are rather bright, but some not. Makes it kinda tough. I should probably go with the 012's, just because they seem to be more versatile. Going to probably go try them both out this weekend. Thanks though.

Check out the Studio PRojects C4's, too.
I typed a bunch more, but this stupid piece of shit ate it all and said I needed to sign in, again. I have to sign in ever 60 seconds, how the hell can Itype anything that fast? Stupid junk.
Fuck it.

tubedude said:
Check out the Studio PRojects C4's, too.
I typed a bunch more, but this stupid piece of shit ate it all and said I needed to sign in, again. I have to sign in ever 60 seconds, how the hell can Itype anything that fast?

That's wierd I'm connected pretty much all the time in one of Mozilla's wonderful tabbed windows and never have to log in.

Is it a limit on how long you can stay in the message editor?

Bob

For acoustic guitar I like both the MC012 and the MXL603s. Yes, the MXL 603s has a wider pattern and is slightly brighter than the MC012, but on my Webber OM they sound very similar. Both are great values but the MC012 is more versatile because you can buy additional caps.

I have a pair of MC012's and an NT-3. I don't have a 603, and I don't record live drums, so I can't comment on cymbals. I definitely prefer the MC012's on acoustic guitar. I prefer the MC012's on voice (as long as you're nowhere near them), and I prefer them as a room mic. I haven't yet found a time where I've preferred the NT-3.

On the other hand, if you're ever in need of a condenser mic without phantom, the NT-3 is a good option (it takes a 9V battery). So, it's a good option for field recording, or live, if you want to have a backup in case your phantom goes on you. Side by side, I prefer the NT-3 to the C1000S, hands down. I just think that the MC012 is an even better mic.

All of that being said, if you are interested in an NT-3, let me know. I need to sell a few things to raise money for an RNC and some monitors, and it's on the list. I am sad to think about letting it go, but I've gone too long without a decent set of monitors.

-mg

I love the MK012 pair I have for acoustic recording. No attempt at matching or anything, just took a random two at GC 2/$99 sale.

GoneinUS said:
I am looking to buy a pair of small condenser mics for drum overheads and other various micing options (such as acoustic guitar). I am looking at:

MXL 603
Oktava MC 012
Rode NT3

I am just wondering what people think of these mics. I have heard good things about the 603's, but have also heard they can be a little hot around cymbals. I have heard good things about 012's, but have heard their quality control is not so good. I haven't heard as much about the NT3's. Currently I am leaning towards the 603's or the 012's. I read the previous posts regarding the RT3's, the 603's, and the 4041's (don't want to spend that much), but didn't heard much about the 012's.

I currently have a AT 4050 as my large condenser (and may be looking for a different one to add as well). I am just wondering what people think from their experience.

Thanks.
Humm, well lets see... I have all three of those mics and I'd say what you have heard about the 603S and MC-012 is about right. The NT5's are the darkest sounding of the three mics, with the MC-012 in the middle and the 603S as the brightest... I tend to favor the MC-012 for drum overheads, but all three can sound pretty good.

Oops, my mistake... oh well, I have some NT3's also, but I still favor the MC-012 for drum overheads. Which of the three mics do you perfer as drum overheads aus?

I received a pair of 012's from one of the guys in the US, and they are certainly easier to work with as o/heads than the 603's. I haven't used the 012's on acoustic yet, but for the guitars we are usually using, I think the 603's will continue to be the better option.

Obviously, there are other more expensive options but for our purposes the additional costs can't be justified at the present time.

In regard to NT-3's..........I have yet to find one that doesn't sound overly bright or harsh, consequently I wouldn't bother buying one.

:cool:

Thanks for all the input guys. After a good deal of research, I have actually decided on the Studio Projects C4's. I've heard good things about the overall and great things about using them as drum overheads, which will be one of their main uses. Thanks again!

GoneinUS said:
Thanks for all the input guys. After a good deal of research, I have actually decided on the Studio Projects C4's. I've heard good things about the overall and great things about using them as drum overheads, which will be one of their main uses. Thanks again!
Your welcome... and I've heard good things about both the 797 Audio Studio Projects C4's and Behringer B5's... but I've never used either 797 Audio mics as overheads. Anyway, I wish you the best with whatever mics you get.

Isn't it going to get tougher to get Oktava mics here in the states? Shipping laws or something?

How much longer do I have 'till GC won't be able to get them anymore?

Drummer4Life05 said:
(1) Isn't it going to get tougher to get Oktava mics here in the states? (2) Shipping laws or something?

(3) How much longer do I have 'till GC won't be able to get them anymore?
(1) It already is getting tougher to get Oktava MC-012's.
(2) That's what Flatpicker said... but I don't know.
(3) If you really want a pair of Oktava MC-012's (just to be on the safe side) you should get them now... while it's not too late.

MiXit-G said:
Although they are more of a medium size condenser the audio technica AE5100 sound really REALLY nice to me, very smooth sounding mic.

Full Compass? I was waiting for someone to jump on that deal.

Those would be very nice to have.

Back