MXL 3000, MXL V69, or no MXL

Alfred E. New

I currently have the MXL 90 and 91 condensers and they sound pretty good but I'm hesitant about getting the V69 or the 3000. I have noticed that most pro studios don't carry MXL mics so that makes me nervous about spending the 300 for the V69 or the 200 for the 3000 Mic Bundle. Does anyone have these mics and have input for me? Or does anyone think I shouldn't get them and go for something in the Shure or AKG brand?

I currently have the MXL 90 and 91 condensers and they sound pretty good but I'm hesitant about getting the V69 or the 3000. I have noticed that most pro studios don't carry MXL mics so that makes me nervous about spending the 300 for the V69 or the 200 for the 3000 Mic Bundle. Does anyone have these mics and have input for me? Or does anyone think I shouldn't get them and go for something in the Shure or AKG brand?

So then you'd probably be more comfortable shelling out the $2000-20,000 for a mic that would be found in a pro studio?:D

The V69 is a well respected mic in the $300 price range.

Not too many opinions on the 3000. No one seems to want to go for it enough to say for sure.

As for Shure, any of their LDC are going to be good. The KSM27 is a very good, but mellowish sounding mic.

The AKG line is great for the most part. The lower end Perception mics are getting good "work horse" reviews. The higher end lines (>$1000) get mixed opinions depending on the engineer. A real C12 is accepted as glorious, but a C12VR is often consider a $3000 paper weight.

Back