MXL-2010 Another Stupid Deal!

It would look nicer on one of my mic stands but I have no clue how good it is. Not even a musicians friend review is up to persuade me.

I can speak from experience that the particular shock mount pictured with the item is fairly worthless. The metal is so soft that it readily strips the threads. The clamp barely creates enough tension to stay in place, and the harder you screw down the higher your chances of stripping the threads out, making you mount worthless.

It's still $90 elsewhere so the $70 stupid deal aint that great. Still, it is multi-pattern which has me interested and shipping is free. Because it's a closeout there are limtations on returning it...read MF's fine print.

How would you compare this to the CAD GXL 3000 ($60 and arrives tomorrow if shipping info can be believed) that was the stupid deal last week?

I haven't heard either the CAD or the MXL 2010 but I also own an MXL 990 and I'm looking forward to a non-MXL.

edit - not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with the MXL, just that I prefer variety.

How would you compare this to the CAD GXL 3000 ($60 and arrives tomorrow if shipping info can be believed) that was the stupid deal last week?

IMHO, just looking at the specs, I think I can safely say that the CAD was a much, much, much nicer mic.

This MXL mic's frequency response is nuts. There's a 10 dB difference in output between the bottom note of a piano and the top, 25 dB between the bottom of a piano and its presence peak at 9 kHz. That's one massive presence peak. It doesn't say, so that response curve might assume the high pass filter is turned on, but it looks like they start rolling off at a startlingly high 200 Hz, so I'm thinking that this mic just has lousy low end response....

And then, there's the presence peak. It starts sloping up at somewhere around 800 Hz and continues upward until it hits about 9 kHz at a whopping 19 dB higher than at 800 Hz. That's four times the presence peak of a typical vocal microphone. [Edit: Just to clarify, that's 3-4x the dB, or on the order of 4-8x the gain.]

Yeah, the CAD was a steal at that price. This would still be a "just say no" even at $5, just from what I'm seeing there. My gut says it was designed to be a PA mic for cutting through crowd noise without regards to the quality of the sound. 19 dB is just too big a presence peak by any reasonable standards, IMHO.... :)

I almost want to buy one just to see if it really sounds as bad as I think it will. :D

Back