MXL 2003, what is this?

Reggaesoldier

This is being sold in packages with the 603. Is it any good? Or worth getting one just to see what it sounds like? It's pretty cheap, and i'd get another 603, on top of my 2 ksm109's and sp-c1. Anyone used the mxl2003? good or not? worth it or not? Thanks

I have 2 of them in their rebadged V93M form.

Definitly a bright mic, very sensitive and detailed, broad frequency response. A person who didn't like the mic would be more inclined to call them harsh rather than muddy. I am satisfied with them for my voiceover work and have gotten good results using them as an XY stereo pair on choirs and small instrumental ensembles.

They have a bass cutoff switch OR a -10db pad, but not both.

I have one and I use it quite a bit. It can be slightly harsh, and is insanely sensitive. If you want to know what your nieghbors are doing just set it up and turn up the volume a bit. I don't think you can beat it, an X-LDC (dia is 1.1 in I think) for around $125.
-k

Flatpicker said:
You should double check this because all I’ve ever seen paired with the 603 was the MXL 2001 – not the 2003.
yeah yeah, good point, it IS the 2001. So how about that? thanx for the correction flatpicker. And the info on the 2003 is great! What you guys got to say about the 2001?

Reggaesoldier said:
yeah yeah, good point, it IS the 2001. So how about that? thanx for the correction flatpicker. And the info on the 2003 is great! What you guys got to say about the 2001?
The 2001 is considered a fairly good base for the Mojave Audio tube DIY upgrade. Nobody has expressed a whole lot of love for the unupgraded version, though.

Back